Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you all think of this?

I have great respect for the instrument. I also realise that this question could flow onto other guitars such as the Les Paul and Strat, but what do you think?

I am also prepaired for the onslaught of angry JEM owners :p

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
You are asking the question at a Jem fansite, what do you think a majority of the answers will be?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I dunno, if you live in Australia, they certainly are expensive. If you put them in the context of being a guitar designed specifically for the needs of one Mr Steve Vai, and the fact that they seem to do everything he expects of them, then no, they are not overrated.

If you want to spend your playing career doing country chicken pickin', then you may find them a bit overrated, or at least not really fit for purpose.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I own 4 of them. I wonder myself sometimes about the quality, sometimes it seems like if they were dropped the wrong way they would be destroyed beyond repair. The sound, nice however, I can never seem to get the best sound from them like I hear other people from this site get and Vai.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are asking the question at a Jem fansite, what do you think a majority of the answers will be?
Yes thus why this is probably the best place i can ask this question, i personally dont own a JEM (though i would love to) but you are more experiensed with the instrument

And C.Thep, i am at home :D

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
hmm, i just asked a question...
Suggestion, g_l:

Make a poll and:

Ask this question on Jemsite.

Ask this question on the Fender site.

Ask this question on the Gibson site.

Ask this question on the ESP site.

Ask the question on the Ibanez site.

I'd be interested in the combined overall average of the polls;)

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Would you go to a Manchester United website full of their fans and ask who the best soccer team was?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason which led me to ask this question was when i walked into a guitar shop on Tottnham Court Rd in London called Soho sounds, i had a go in the 7VWH they had in there, it was a spectacular instrument, but £1900 i thought was a bit steap. But i thought they must be asking for a high price as people are willing to pay that cash, which is why i thought arent they a bit overrated.

please answer with your oppinions...
I love my strat, but they are way overrated...

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Maybe you should have asked if people thought it was overpriced. Whether or not it's over rated is the wrong thing to be asking around here. As I said, I do think they are too expensive, but they are mighty fine HIGHLY RATED guitars.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nearly 50,000 sold in 20 years at high (over-rated) prices... ?

They sell for a reason...

No, maybe you are over-rating yourself gl

Sorry dude but you are walking into a coloseum full of lions, asking something daft like that.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
sorry if ive annoyed and or insulted anybody by this thread
Lol....no insults taken I'm sure:)

I personally grew up on strats. I was finally able to afford and aquire a Jem (7vwh) :D WOW!

I never went back nor do I play a strat (they don't stand up) or ANYTHING other than a Jem if that tells you anything;)

They are ~FINE, FINE~ instruments that do everything a guitar needs to do!!!

Get one.....you wont be disappointed and make sure to post pics, otherwise we WILL feel insulted;)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Get one.....you wont be disappointed and make sure to post pics, otherwise we WILL feel insulted;)
... just so, he he he

you probably are posing the question to a biased audience here!

I guess a lot of Jemsiters would agree that modern JEMs aren't exactly cheap (well, actually they never have been - the original JEM 777 cost a LOT of money back in 1887, er, 1778, um.... back in the old days), but the 7VWH sitting in my local music store sure is a mighty impressive geetar!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Honestly? The sales of the Les Paul and Strat from 1987 onwards FAR outsell the Jem, I'm sure.

So I'm not sure how "over-rated" it is in terms of the entire guitar market, as it's not like every guitarist in every band has one. So in terms of that I think I'd honestly have to say no.

Now if you were saying Jem's were over-rated when speaking of only the Ibanez line in its entirety and no other brand? I think you'd get a lot more "yes" answers in that case.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.