• Just overpriced

Votes: 42 60.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 185 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
Now, now…I am sure we can all have a nice adult conversation about the value of JEMs. :p

I don’t think the term “overrated” is correct, as many people own and love them, but there is a case for the pricing of them in comparison to say a Prestige 2550 or even some J Customs. Ultimately that is up for you to decide, as it is your money, but here I think you will find the majority feel JEMs are worth it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Nearly 50,000 sold in 20 years at high (over-rated) prices... ?

They sell for a reason...

No, maybe you are over-rating yourself gl

Sorry dude but you are walking into a coloseum full of lions, asking something daft like that.
That's 6.85 Jems a day that sell. Is that good? Sounds good, I think, not sure. Maybe considering how many people that walk into a music store and try out everything and walk out w\o even buying a pick.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
It's difficult for me to convince myself that a JEM is worth so much more than an RG2550 (example). There's extra routing for the grip and lion's claw, but that shouldn't cost much to do, as it's cut by a CNC machine. The pickups are more expensive, and there's usually a flashy inlay such as a vine which used to be just plastic and coloured paper... these details don't make the guitar worth so much more. So yeah, in my opinion, JEM's are overpriced and we're paying a lot for the name of Steve Vai. This doesn't mean the guitar is over rated, of course. As I'm not the biggest Vai fan on earth, I don't care for the JEM as much as some people here, the old RG's (and of course the 20th) do the job just fine for me. In fact I'd rather not be seen with a JEM because I would hate people to think "Oh, he's an obsessive Steve Vai fanboy". I appreciate the guitar itself, though, it's great, especially the older neon ones and FP's.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It's difficult for me to convince myself that a JEM is worth so much more than an RG2550 (example).
I agree with Dee and the fact that the pick-ups in a Jem are superior IMO.

Overrated? That's a very strange question. I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

Advice: There are too many great guitars and guitar manufacturers out there to make comparissons etc. It just doesn't make sense. They have all got their pros and cons.

The Jem is just another great tool.

Imagine Stevie Ray Vaughan using a Jem/RG? His tone would be less sweet IMO.
Imagine Vai using a Strat? Without the powerful Dimarzios and floating trem the tone would lack big-time IMO.

If a Jem suits your style then you cannot go wrong at all.

BTW, £1900 is paying too much. There are better deals out there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I would go along with Dee on this. Compared to an RG, the Jem is over priced and over rated in my opinion. I don't doubt they're superb guitars, and if the looks are for you then great. However I believe you're paying a high premium for Steve's name, a monkey grip and trem claws compared to a prestige RG. Hell, some Prestiges even have the vine inlay if you don't like dots or want something flashier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree - overpriced at £2000 but look around (i got my VWH for less than £1500 in GAK) - definitley not overated.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I vote NO :D (now Myst would've given us a poll :wink:)

Absolutely incredible instrument, without doubt. Whether they suit peoples style/needs is something else and is entirely personal. Whether they are worth the money....is up to the individual,as no-one is forced to buy one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i dont think the jem is overrated but is overprice in some countries... like mine... i do have a dispute about buying it or not... should it be a good purchase or not? to buy or not to buy it !!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My JEM ticks all the boxes it terms of what I want out of a guitar, although the monkey grip, lions claw and association with Steve Vai are all a bit superfluous to me.

Would I be better off with a Prestige RG? Maybe, but my JEM is an ATD swirl and that's one of the many things I love about it.

Perhaps JEMs are a bit over priced, but certainly not over rated.

Depends on what you want I guess.....

·
4,107 Posts
Yeah, I just went over to Vai.com to see if I could look it up, no luck, but I am pretty sure he used a plain old Fender Strat for most of that. I think it was the natural wood grain finish one to be exact.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think they are overrated. A little high priced, maybe, but they play better than most any guitar. I own 10 jem's and i dont even like Steve Vai, but i love how they play. I also love how my 770dx's play though too.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Yeah, I just went over to Vai.com to see if I could look it up, no luck, but I am pretty sure he used a plain old Fender Strat for most of that. I think it was the natural wood grain finish one to be exact.
Yeah, I think it was the natural Strat with stickers all over it.

21 - 40 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.