Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an sk777 jem and I'm doing alot of gigs but I don't want to thrash the **** out of it. So I need another jem to give the sk777 a break.

The sk777 sounds fierce so I need a jem that sounds just as good.

Are these new mass produced jems you see for £300 in Dawsons and other big music shops as good quality as the old original 80's pink, green and yellow ones? I mean things like type of wood used / pick ups etc...

I'm only asking because I see alot of them in music shops these days and they are surprisingly cheap.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
what mass produced Jems are you talking about ?? A new Jem should cost alot more then £300...

Whatever your looking at must be a copy and will not compare to your SK....

They are surprisingly cheap and not surprisingly Crap

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
If you mean Premium, no.
I have a JEM70SF and its not that great.
I have a JEM FP2 and it is very good!
I also have many other older JEMs like an Sk and a LNG, old UVs etc.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
expect a smaller neck if your looking at anything recent. Not that big of a deal but i found it a little bit weird.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was really not impressed with the new Jem70v in comparison to my LNG. It's a harsh comparison, but the damn thing felt like a toy in the shop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've owned many vintage Jems over the years and recently got my hands on a Jem77FP2 and a Jem 70VSFG... Nothing feels quite like a vintage, but... Except for fret size and pickup models the FP2 feels very much like my old '88 FP that I sold last year but nothing like the '87 LNG I sold last month wich is the same as the SK. Probably installing PAF Pros would make it sound very similar, and today's Jems don't have the quarter sawn maple neck but the neck heel extends all the way to the las fret wich compensates tone wise.

The SFG is a great guitar to gig with, not quite like the real thing, but with a pro setup it's a fantastic Jem for the money.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i would go rg750 if u can find one ..the 7xx sereries were the ulitimate rgs in my opion....just a thought ..or a rg 550 put som pafs in it ..should do the trick..

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Ebony has a slightly different feel, if you like the feel, go for maple. I don't buy into the "fretboard dramatically changes the sound" club, I'm sure it does but other things have a much larger impact. Id say go for feel in this instance. Ebony feels great, but so does maple.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Vintage>modern in my experience thus far. That being said, I love all jems deeply and you'd be happy with any of them. Go buy the 7x7 ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts