Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I notice Rich has two 43mm nuts listed for the RG series: Japanese and Korean, with two different parts nos.

Are they the same size (e.g., depth)?

I've just received a 1998 RG 570 that seems to have a _way_ high nut; the action over the first fret is _huge_.

I just took the nut off to see if there were shims I could remove, but there were none. It was sitting on rosewood.

I noticed however that the nut appears to be non-Ibanez (it is marked "R3 Made in Germany"). Either Schaller, or OFR made by Schaller, I suspect.

By eye, the nut _does_ indeed appear to be a bit "deeper" than a Gotoh nut I compared it to side by side. (By "deeper" I mean you would have to shim the Gotoh nut to get it sit at the same height as the German one unshimmed.)

Is it possible the German and Japanese nuts are different dimensions?

If so, how about the Japanese and Korean nuts? (back to my original question.)

This is all very weird. (I can't even think why someone would replace the Ibanez nut with a German one in the first place.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
The Jap and Korean RG nuts(43mm) are the same

I've sold quite a few to Korean owners who want to upgrade the nut........

Its always a false economy buying a nut thats a few £'s cheaper - but then you get loads of headaches getting it to fit/tuning probs/affects re-sale price etc etc ...... like some guy in another thread wanting to use non-Ibanez locking nut pads.....

Max

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, depth the same - just the quality differs.......
Do you have any idea about the depth of the German made nuts?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out whether I need to a) buy a new nut, or b) get the nut slot deepened/rerouted (PITA). :(

·
Vendor
26,554 Posts
The R3 is 10" radius, the fretboard is 17". It is also made for narrower string spacing. It is in all ways the wrong nut for the aplication.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The R3 is 10" radius, the fretboard is 17". It is also made for narrower string spacing. It is in all ways the wrong nut for the aplication.
Thanks Rich.

What do you think about the height issue? I was reading on your site that said that some Ibanez guitars were coming out of the factory with nut slots cut so the strings are 1mm at the first fret. This ever happen with the 1998 RG 570s do the you know?

And would the Korean/Japanese 2LN1BR43x/2TL1BR43x nuts both be the same dimensional spec for this application?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Always. Unless I can't grind enough off the nut and have to take more out of the wood.
How much can you grind off a nut? Is is enough that this is what you did to correct the nut routing problems on the Jem models you mentioned briefly in the nut FAQ on your site?

·
Vendor
26,554 Posts
Very rare is a nut I can't lower enough by grinding, but you do whatever you're more comforable with. Either way is easy to screw up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A nut is cheaper to replace than a neck... :)
True, but to do the calculation properly, you have to take into account the probability of screwing up either operation.

So the optimal action would be min_arg{a} [P_nut.C_nut,P_neck.C_neck]

where P_nut and P_neck are the probability of screwing up a nut and neck respectively, and C_nut and C_neck are the cost of a nut and neck respectively.

So, if a neck costs three times as much as a nut, but the chances are higher of screwing up on the nut, it may be rational to choose working on the neck, to minimise the expected loss.

E_loss(nut) = P_nut.C_nut
E_loss(neck) = P_neck.C_neck

If the nut is $55, and the neck is $165, but the risk of screwing up the nut is more than three times greater than screwing up the neck, then it's rational to work on the neck.

i.e. if

Pnut * 55 > Pneck * 165

or

Pnut/Pneck > 3

then work on the neck.

Unless, of course, you really _love_ that neck. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Plugger, what on earth was that last post about....... i fear you're at risk of winning this months............
"I've been smokin the crack pipe too much" Grand Prize.

Buy the right nut for your guitar and a set of shims and sail off happily into the sunset......

Either myself or Rich can sell it to you!

Max

1 - 20 of 30 Posts