Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi jemsite,
I own a used ibanez rg2027x, and I've been having some tuning trouble with the lo pro trem, ever since I got it. I've tried stretching the strings many times, and also lubing the studs, but it never gets me all the way to a trem that returns to near perfect pitch. Whenever i pull up, or down, about 1/6th of the way it goes either sharp or flat.

So I thought i'd take a look at the knife edges. Can anybody see from the attached pictures if they are the problem?

And if they are, is there a way to replace them? I read that Rich Harris doesn't recommend filing them on a piezo bridge.
Thanks in advance,
AkselBT

(And also, I haven't changed the trem studs/posts, and I don't think the previous owner did, if they could also play a part).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The first 2 pics it looks like there may be a little chip? Other than that, check your nut -- Is it front mounted or rear mounted? If it is rear mounted, it would have two allen screws on the back of the neck. Make sure those are firm (but not over-tight, cracking the wood)/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the s***ty image quality, but yes they are chipped on the edges. Checked the nut, which is rear mounted, it was somewhat tight but tightened it a little more with no success.
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I'd check to see if the anchors are totally tight in the body. They may have started to oval out a bit.

The knife edges look a tiny bit fat. You may try thinning them down or just knocking down any burrs.

Can you post pictures of what your studs look like?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.