Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I just need to vent out my frustration... I got my 77B about 2 months ago and was really upset with it because It didnt sound anywhere near what I expected. the only saving grace of this guitar was its playability and that she was drop dead gorgeous. I spent alot of time with her and found amps that worked, pod settings that worked and started to love her a little bit more. Heres the thing ... THE FINISH CRACKED ON ME YESTERDAY FOR NO APPARENT REASON.... It was not dinged, it was not hit... i was playing and then just noticed that the top of my JEM had cracks on it inside the finish. damnit!?!?!?!?! so my beautiful jem now looks cracked and abused... yeah i konw it adds charcter but after 2 months my finish gets checked!?!??!?1 arrghhh ... IBANEZ SUCKS FIRST THEY RAISE THE PRICES THEN PUT OUT A PRODUCT LIKE THIS!??!!? the worst part is ist not a vertical check like most guitars... its kinda random going all over the place. years of RnD for a finish like this.... man im so ticked off.... sorry for venting but AFTER 2300 DOLLARS 2MONHTS BEFORE CHECKING OCCURS SOUNDS UNFAIR.

Now for the voice of reason... I know alot of you are thinking of the 77b or the 7v and I now strongly reccomend the 7v. Its a better sounding guitar.... and a guitar you can grow old with vs the brmr which is just a novelty and something you cant really bring to gigs, jam with or even use regularly... because if you do... youll lose the 1 reason you bot it for... the look... if you want this sound (for god knows what reason) go for a 7dbk or a bsb... youll be much happier.... sorry again for the rant... peace - miks

If anyone can help me out... rich... maybe you can find out if i can get it refinished or what not please?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear about your guitar. I do recall this disclaimer, though. Unfortunately it doesn't help you.

This is from the Nevada Music website:
Please note that this guitar will be supplied with a disclaimer that the finish may crack (as Steve VAi's has) and that this will not be considered a failure under warranty.
I'm trying to find another reference.

Edit:

This is the thread I recalled, but there isn't much information there:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34534&highlight=brmr

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
I find it very unlikely it just cracked on it's own. The top is formed, it's glued, IMO it's not under any stress. There are at least 20 members here who have them and haven't seen a crack. I'd be more inclined to believe something happened to it that you weren't aware of. Now if more start reporting "mysterious cracks from nowhere" that's different.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
regardless of what happened here, with those "20 members" i'd be curious to know the collective total hours (or minutes) played on these guitars... glen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey rich, heres the thing... I was playing her and there are hardly and surface cracks. Most of them are under the finish. I have no idea or explanation for that ohter than checking (because the weather here has been changing ... tropical country .. philippines.. i play in an AC room at about 22 while outside its 28 and i do recall leaving the door to the room open so thats what i beleive caused it). I have not banged the guitar... and no one else has banged it (coz there is no dent... there are however a few surface cracks but majority of them are inside the finish). :( I wish i could blame myself for the crack but I cant except for the fact that I left the door of the AC'ed room open. As for playing hours.. I played her every weekend i got her out 3 1hr sets 2x a week and i practiced with her probably at least an hour everyday... she was my main axe for the past 2 months and I was really starting to grow with her. No notable wear on her other than she was getting a little misty around the forearm rest but a quick polish always fixed that up. I bought her in the US and brought her here to the philippines coz the wait for one was too long... anyway... again... any help is welecome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahah... my vocalist used it one time as a mirror and i was like what the %%%% but I guess thats coz they have the right to be excentric... lol :)

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Nobody else in the house?

The tough part is, it's got to come back to the US for any warranty coverage. If you bought it through a HUSA dealer I'm pretty sure they'd just replace it. If it was a Chesbro dealer more than likely it would get some mickey mouse finish repair attempt on it. They're not big on replacing things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got it from same day music... i'll write them an email now and try to get something done... thanks for the hope rich... getting it to the US wont be a problem at all... if you could point me to the right direction that would be appreciated too.

BTW ... yup no one else was in the house

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've had mine for about 3 or 4 months now and have seen no problems with the finish or anything else. I play aprox 2 hours a day... some days more , some less. It has been my main guitar since I bought her ( I own 8 total, including a VWH too), I just love how she plays and feel and sounds and looks.

I'm often amazed at how good the finish still looks and how good it still looks after playing. I figure smudges and finger prints would be more apparent, but unless I get really sweaty and I hardly notice.

Sorry you've got issues with yours, I hope you find a resolution.

·
Registered
332 Posts
A 7DBK is the same as the BRMR...tone wise that is....Hell you can get a much better neck from a 7DBK and put money in your pocket.
JEM 7DBK RULE.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Do you have any pics of this?

I am quite interested to see it, I don't know about anyone else.

PS. Sorry you are having trouble.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Rab said:
A 7DBK is the same as the BRMR...tone wise that is....Hell you can get a much better neck from a 7DBK and put money in your pocket.
JEM 7DBK RULE.
JEM 7DBK's RULE !!!

And you can still do your hair in the pickguard LOL

·
Registered
520 Posts
Rich said:
NObody is buying BRMR's so they can see to comb their hair in. They're being bought as players.
I agree with Rich. These won't have the collectors value of say, a JS2PRM!!;)
I know I bought mine to play, and haven't had any problems at all. Of course, mine lives in a climate and humidity controlled room, so it's not part of my gig rig.

miks696 - Sorry about your trouble. Good luck getting it fixed/replaced. And I would like to see some pics if you get a chance.

Josh

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Sorry to hear that man:( Hmmmm.....I ordered my BRMR back in Feb...and now they've moved back the date (AGAIN) and it wont be ready until maybe DEC...probably early next year. That's a bit rediculous (granted I ordered it from the local P-Sound) I am very seriously thinking about just getting my money back and getting two nice older Jems for the price of one new (I'm not sure what I'm getting Jem or how long it will last Jem) Gotta keep the GAS attack alive;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
That is terrible, especially if it has happened on its own with no outside help. If there's any way you can get some pics of the cracks I'd be interested to see them,
hope you can get it sorted,
Rich

1 - 20 of 80 Posts