Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i dig the asymmetrical profile. If you or your friend have ever played an EVH signature guitar whether it be EBMM, peavey or EVH chances are you already know what the neck feels like.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I've played a Wolfgang with the asym neck and really didn't notice much difference... What I really want to try is the trapezoid neck shape. Some of the builders at Projectguitar are really digging them. I may have to break down and build one...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The asymmetric neck is awesome if you play with your thumb over the top. If you play with your thumb behind the neck like you're supposed to, you won't notice too much except maybe really high up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have an optional asymmetrical carve on my builds. On 7's and above it's a rather severe asymmetry, on 6's it's more moderate since there's less room to work on. This carve is the only way I've been able to make 8 strings playable, personally.

I also put the truss rod (or rods in the 9 string's case) off center to match the thickest part of the carve. I got this carve from Todd at TK Instruments, but the truss rod bit is my own spin on it. Oni Guitars does a similar asymmetrical carve, but opposite, so the thickest part is on the treble side. I haven't tried doing one of those yet, but I might soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts