Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was bored while i was waiting on parts for some of the guitars turning up, i had bought Marabu Easy Marble paint for cheap a few weeks back and wanted to give it a try and see how it works.
This method doesn't involve using Borax and you simply just add the paint to regular tap water and have at it.

I primed the items and coated them with either neon pink or neon orange spray paint, i kind of hoped that the base coat would show a bit more but the marble paint covered alot more area than expected.

Trial and error process i suppose, il be tracking down more expendable items to try swirl and see if i can improve on the technique, il also try the more traditional Borax/ Magic Marble method in the future and compare the two paints to see which one provides a better result.

Rectangle Azure Paint Purple Art paint

·
Registered
750 Posts
I tried Marabu Easy Marble but it didn't work well,
too much base colour was unswirled maybe 70% -80%
also colours dried too fast on water and particular set was with pretty dull colours.
Then i tried Ravel colours for toy models, and after few trial result is on the left side of this post.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got 2 cyan blue and 2 purple Marabu so il use them up and see if i can get anything interesting from them.
The reason i never went for Borax and Magic Marble is because Borax was unavailable in UK/Europe.

Ive since found Borax available on eBay in the UK so il probably buy some to try other methods of swirl paint, its much harder to get a nice finish that i would've thought but im used to painting one flat colour and then straight to clear coat. Never experimented with any other paint finishes before

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used bath protected with nylon (used for flor protection when painting wals,) just water and paint. No borax since I could not find it in stores. I tried some water softeners but it didn.t work well. So I used just tap water and paint.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting to see you got such a good result using a very basic method. Since Borax has become available il buy some just to try it out.

So far mines look more like an oil spill than a swirl but il keep trying different items and see i can improve it. :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think, in essence, you got it right. Maybe if you thin the paint a little bit it will look better "out of the bucket".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive done a few more things just to try improve on the technique, like you say, it actually works better if you use slightly less marble paint. I didnt realise how thick it would be the first time i tried it.

Il keep practicing on expendable items until i can do it more consistently (y)

Sports equipment Rectangle Electric blue Tints and shades Magenta
Headgear Automotive design Font Electric blue Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you (y)

I tried to sprinkle some fine glitter on the single coil pick up cover to add some interest but the finish ended up quite rough, the swirl itself looked pretty decent though. The knob turned out excellent and its the one im most happy with so far.

I did consider buying a few batches of generic volume knobs, pick up covers and some other things to swirl and sell but its not huge profit i dont think so it would probably end up being alot of effort for not a very big return.

I enjoy painting alot, I used to paint and sell engine covers alot minus the swirls.:)

Gas Auto part Machine Electric blue Rectangle

·
Registered
140 Posts
The swirls are looking great on your second attempt. If you could replicate that onto a body (minus the glitter :p) it would be VERY nice.

That engine would look pretty good with the addition of some black swirls hehe!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, i spent some time with spray painters when i worked as a mechanic, picked up a few useful tricks along the way.

The whole thing is a learning experience just now, i plan on buying different colour marble paint as i only have teal blue and purple as it stands. My RS140 Roadstar II was bought as a cheap project guitar so it may well get a swirl paint job if i think i can pull it off. Ive only ever painted one flat colour and then clear coat and polish so im trying to pull my skills together and see what i can do.

I wouldn't usually customise something of that vintage but it was already damaged when i bought it and it has rough body work, its also the lowest spec Roadstar and the most common so i dont feel too guilty about changing it up a bit. :cool:

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you master it, there's probably a market for refinishing beaten-up RG550s with a fancy swirl and selling them on for profit.

My favourite swirl is the "silver" (blue, black & silver) 25th anniversary Universe, but I'd say the objectively best swirl (colour is less to my taste though) is Steve's custom swirled PIA - the colours of the Tree of Life inlay have been picked out perfectly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you master it, there's probably a market for refinishing beaten-up RG550s with a fancy swirl and selling them on for profit.

My favourite swirl is the "silver" (blue, black & silver) 25th anniversary Universe, but I'd say the objectively best swirl (colour is less to my taste though) is Steve's custom swirled PIA - the colours of the Tree of Life inlay have been picked out perfectly.
I actually found two 550 bodies on eBay last night but they're in Germany and cost £250 each, with the extra taxes were paying for EU goods now it would cost a fortune to get them over here.

I would probably just try Indonesian or Korean bodies with AANJ to start with, most folk will have something along those lines anyway so maybe easier to sell?

Japanese Ibanez old or new seem to be getting expensive these days, even a Premium Indo model is quite expensive, plenty old 350/370DX style models floating around though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts