Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, can anyone help me with this.

I really want to build my own guitar, but I don't have a clue where to start. I don't even have any wood yet. Can anyone help me with general tips on where to find parts, woods, paint and electronics etc. I want to make all the wood parts myself.

Also, how can I put inlays in a neck, and how can I paint the guitar a la the ernie ball jpm models.

I know this is a huge task, but it's a project I really want to start.

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The best book by far is "Electric Guitar Construction" by Tom Hirst. Get a copy of that if nothing else.

www.stewmac.com, www.lmii.com, www.allparts.com, www.projectguitar.com, etc. will be your best friends.

I agree that you need the right tools. While a lot of the woodworking can be done with common tools, some of the work, namely fretting and other neck work, will require some special tools to do at all ... and they can get expensive fast. Start with the essentials and work your way up as you can afford it.

I have the Melvin His**** book and was not terribly impressed. It's not bad, but not nearly as good as the Hirst book.

It's all in the planning and preparation ...

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ryanb said:
I have the Melvin His**** book and was not terribly impressed. It's not bad, but not nearly as good as the Hirst book.
Thanks for the heads up. Might save me a few quid as I'm thinking about bumbling my way through an attempt at a build myself at some point soon.....

Regards,

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.