Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some **GOOD** news. I placed an order with the Ibanez Distributor in Canada today and after several requests to have them order in some J-Customs for me, they managed to pull in 5 pieces of the Ibanez RG8570M in!! (seems to be more like they picked up the stuff the UK distributor couldn't sell off as they no longer list the j.custom models they carry anymore).

I got one of those RG8570M's on order for the shop I manage, so there should be another four floating around in Canada. (Street price is going to be as much as a Jem 7VWH as they also list for $4300 Canadian).

Oh yeah, in addition to that there's also a few pieces of the RG-Paint that was brought in(kinda looks like a swirl). My rep couldn't tell me how many of the Swirled ones came in as they were all sold in about 30 minutes, but there are a total of five of the RG8570M's available. So heads up to all the folks in Canada looking for J.Customs, there might be one coming near you.

PS. This may not be as nice as being able to get all of the J.Custom line in, but it's a good step.

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Got a call this week that Chesbro was going to import 5 8570M's and offered them all to me. $3000 list. PASS. Not only are they discontinued but I [you, or anybody] can buy them new from Japan for less than my cost would be in the US. $3000 list?! 212KY list in Japan, and can be bought for 164K plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know they're overpriced, I mean I got my (used) RG8670TV for less than the dealer cost for the RG8570, but hey at least it's a step forward in the right direction. (Well that and at least some people can at least see and try it).

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Having to charge more for them than the RGART's kills them. Importing something at a price nobody [or so very few] would even consider isn't a step in the right direction. 30% higher than JP List has no explanation.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, I wasn't going to order them in because of the price point but somebody in upper management decided it would be nice to have a model that none of the other guitar shops have.

(Rich, man you reply fast!!)

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Japan teased them with discontinued [and probably still overstocked] models at a premium and because these "upper management" don't know any better they buy into it hook line and sinker. Then they throw the same hype at the dealers to get them to buy into it. At least you knew up front so your decision is much more informed than the guy down the street.

·
Registered
336 Posts
OT: based on some of their decisions, I get the impression that Ibanez only has upper management. They seem really out of touch. Is this just a reality of them making most of their $$$ on entry-level axes?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
darren wilson said:
budd: What store do you manage?
The shop I currently manage is Metro Sound & Music in downtown Toronto. Feel free to come by and bug me if you're in the area.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It's cool to be able to have one on the shelf in your store. And the right buyer who does not want to wait for an order from Japan, and also wants to play it first before buying may be willing to pay a premium.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I've been in your store quite a few times, and bought a case for my Dean there. You guys have some great stuff on your walls! Nice to see you getting more high-end stuff in.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Darren: Stop by again sometime, if you haven't been here in a while you haven't seen my new wall of high end guitars. (I got sick of being a [email protected]$$ed guitar shop and took over the guitar section).

JTM45: The swirls are the black & white as well asthe Black and red/pink (dunno how many are available though)

Electrik: Actually the RG8570M will end up almost being the same as the one in the link. It'll actually street for about $100-$200(Canadian) less than a Jem 7VWH, so it's actually not that bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts