163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best audio card/interface to buy with;

at least 2 mic preamps
XLR inputs
MIDI I/O
PCI card (maybe firewire)

..the capabilities to record good quality guitar, vocals and put a keyboard in

an interface would be good, but not essential, and it has to be of a high quality, and can be up to about £400, but it wouldnt hurt if it was cheaper..

and for software.. if it was digidesign or m-audio, then i would be using protools (which would be great), but if not, whats the next best piece of software for this kinda job...

im just looking into getting a decent recording set up, so if anyone has a completely different way of doing this without using a audiocard/interface, thats simple and gets good results.. please let me know

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you're not using Pro Tools, check the web for user feedback on the drivers & software that you WILL be using. Apparently this unit works fine with Adobe Audition and the WDM MME drivers, but complaints of other drivers have been reported. The hardware sure looks like a good deal, though.

Another option is Echo's AudioFire or Gina 3G. They have always been VERY good about drivers & support, but you'll spend more ($500-600 US instead of $400 for the M-Audio).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jemboy and jester.. the 410 looks like a great unit.. have either one of you used them in conjunction with the software that comes included? and how would the 410 compare to something like a digi 002, or another make of card (e.g. the audiofire) with some other bit of software - such as logic or sonar etc.?

Thanks again.. its a real help..

·
Registered
124 Posts
i use an m-audio 1814. Its wonderfull, and the quality is superb, you definetely get what you pay for. I know the presonus boxes are also very good, the presonus firebox is one heck of a box for the money. The software that comes with this units is usually not so spiffy, but if alls you wanna do is record, then your definetely okay. Personally i use cubase sx with it, and its wonderfull, but the software bundles aren't anything to rant about, its exactly why they come with it. You get it all installed, then its like, well if you actually wanna use me, then you gotta fork over more cash man!!

Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts