Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone have experience with both these companies 2x12s. I have a Mark IV Head and i'm looking to upgrade from 2 1x12 cabs to 2 2x12s. I read the reviews on Avatars on Harmony-central and i like what i see, but i'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I know a couple of you use them, or at least have before. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
795 Posts
Personally, I liked the Mesa Recto 2x12 cab better. I do have an Avatar 2x12 at home, and it's an ok sounding cab. Not bad, not great. Loaded with Vintage 30's so that's part of my problem... I don't particularly care for those speakers anymore (a little harsh, a little nasally to me). But I've dealth with Dave at Avatar a couple times, and he's always been very nice.

That said, I just ordered a 2x12 cab from TruTone ... check 'em out at http://www.trutonecustom.com. Rob was wicked nice, and helped a lot with speaker options and such... he knows his stuff. I actually called him at his house (at his request) this Saturday. Pine cabs (not birch plywood), lots of options. Only problem is that since he does it 'on the side' (it isn't his f/t job), there may be a bit of a wait.

-Ben

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just looked at the true tones.. they look pretty nice. do you know at all how they sound (i assume since you j sut ordered that you don't have it yet)?? and what speaker options did you get for yours and how much was it if you dont' mind me asking?? Do you think that it will be better than a recto 2x12 I really like the wine burgundy color.. thats sweet. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I really really like my friend's '67 Bassman 2x12 cab, and that's made from (mostly) pine. I can definately hear the difference the pine makes - to me it's a bit warmer and more resonant. Obviously some people DON'T want that because they want a very focused, edgy sound. But a lot of old-school rock-n-roll cabs were made from pine, and I just happen to think that will work for me. But no, I haven't heard specifically TruTone's cabs.

Now, I'm a bit gunshy of Celestion Vintage 30's... I tried them with a Rivera M100 and they sounded ok, but with a Mesa F-50, Egnater TOL-50, and TopHat Ambassador 50, I thought they sounded too crisp with cleans and too boxy (proponents may say 'focused') with heavier OD / distortions. I know Emminence's stock replacement for older Fenders is the Legend 125, and I know I've liked the sound of older (and certainly some newer) Fenders with their stock speakers. They're a bit smoother and not raspy. So one speaker is a Legend 125. For the other, I went with a Celestion g12h80 - supposedly a more netural sounding speaker than the Vin30, but with a little bite. I couldn't make up my mind between the 2, so I loaded the cab with one of each. If I don't care for one, I can just get rid of it an pop in another. But as it stands, this combo should work out nicely.

Price... let's see... $505. That's including the speakers and loading them. Plus I added the options of pop-out casters, and the removeable plate back - both of those together were something like $40. Everything else (valence front, piping, tolex colors, grillcloth colors, shipping) is included in the base price. Actually, I got mine in the wine burgundy color too to match my TopHat.

I'd definately try out the Recto cab 1st... they're in just about any Guitar Center you find. If you like it, go for it! I'm into a warmer, more old-school sound... 6L6 amps and such, so it wouldn't be my 1st choice. But I played an F-50 through one for a couple hours and I thought it sounded really nice. There's a mint one on some auction site for $400 right now.

-Ben

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lets put it this way.. i want to have some edge but not an abundance.. i've played through the mesa 4x12 "oversized cab" and it's so bassy and like.. i dunno if you wanna call the highs too gritty or something similar.. i haven't played the recto 2x12 though, so i can't tell you if it sound the same or not to me. I want kinda smooth airy leads, rather than in your face.. i dunno if that makes any sense at all. I want the warm leads but i do want to have clarity and punch in my rhythms. if the pine cabs can give me this kinda sound.. it's definitely what i'm looking for.. i do know of a guitar center that has a couple 2x12 mesa cabs in.. so i'll go give them a try before i make any decisions... thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i'm gonna go with trutone's.. i like the idea of the solid pine consturction for more resonance. but.. another thing i as wondering. why does everyone have the vintage 30 listed as a 60 watt speaker, yet mesa listed the 2x12 cab with V30s as being able to handle 140 watts?? i think i at least know something about multiplication, shouldn't 60 watts x 2 speakers be 120 watts??

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Trutone looks good. A loaded 2x12 should cost around $500 which is a bit higher than avatars prices though, but if you have an old Fender head, you really need a pine cabinet to go with it for that classic tone! :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Go with the Avatar Special 2X12 with the wheat grille and G12H30 & VIN30 combo. $200 less to purchase new and sounds just as good if not better with Mesas. I have 4 Mesa cabs. I like the 3/4 back better for my THD head and the Avatar for my TriAxis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.