Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
We have a 3D modeler at work. Modeler machines are pretty expensive. The guitars are expensive because of the time involved. It has to be engineered, then process a program to run the model. It takes us around 6 hours to form a 16 ounce prototype container. I would guess that guitar body would be about a 24 hour run. It would then need to be deburred and then have all the parts fitted and electronics installed. A lot of time I'm sure. I only wonder how it would sound. Not a lot of mass to it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
We have a 3D modeler at work. Modeler machines are pretty expensive. The guitars are expensive because of the time involved. It has to be engineered, then process a program to run the model. It takes us around 6 hours to form a 16 ounce prototype container. I would guess that guitar body would be about a 24 hour run. It would then need to be deburred and then have all the parts fitted and electronics installed. A lot of time I'm sure. I only wonder how it would sound. Not a lot of mass to it.
A professional luthier working with wood traditionally needs much, much more time than that to turn that wood into a guitar, and has to be present during the entire process.

With 3D printing, once the print is started you can walk away and come back later.

The amount of work involved doesn't justify the cost - especially when the result can be reproduced with no additional work beyond purchase of materials. (Excepting the finishing, which is no different in complexity when you're finishing guitars, wiring etc.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally agree with the above, but the unfortunate fact is with wood supplies being squeezed more and more each day, this type of instrument with probably become the norm, , but I have to say the spiders are cool, but they def have no soul!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

First of all, the tone is all in your fingers and a great player will play great on anything...

Second of all, that is one awesome guitar. The spiders are ridiculously badass!! I love it!!

Thirdly, I believe that wood will be a luxury most future guitarists will not be able to afford!

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey! the guitar loks awesome, have you made it your self:razz:
i have a epiphone guitar a cheap acoustic , around $138 i am now planning to buy an electric.
so any suggestions will greatly help.

A little cheaper ones please, i dont intend to sell my house.:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.