Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Axe-FX vs Engl E570 Pre-amp

13K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  AcidDrink 
#1 ·
I guys,

I don't mean to start another Axe-FX thread, I'm just trying to understand the true worth of the Axe vs other high-end units when it comes to tone!

So the fact is that recently I saw a demo used E570 for about 1400 eur which is 300 eur cheaper than the Axe-Fx and 800 eur cheaper than the Axe-Fx Ultra.

The Engl E570 is the pre-amp of the ENGL Special Edition head which is currently the flagship head of the ENGL line. I've seen some videos on youtube and it seems to sound killer!
Problem is finding one of these in a shop where you can try it out.. it seems to be incredibly versatile! On the other hand it's very difficult to grab the Axe-Fx for a spin without ordering it first within the 30 day return policy.

I suppose it might come down in the end to whether you prefer dialing in sounds with knobs or changing numeric parameters in an unit...

So is the Axe worth the extra money ? I mean probably it can't be beaten for versatility and studio usage given the amount of amps it can emulate but the Engl is the real deal all tube pre-amp...

Or maybe I should just stick to my Pod ... lol!:mrgreen:

See less See more
#2 ·
You are right, it is personal preference.

I could only play the Engl for 10min, so no real review from me, but the unit is a killer sounding pre-amp. If you are satisfied with the tones the Engl can produce and want a "real tube" than this is definately a thing to look into. It is a killer unit and much less complex than an Axe, as you can dial in tones easily and get killer sounds. However it is versatile enough for many cases, as in you can also dial in crappy sounds, but tweaking it is quite easy.

Now the Axe has a lot of amps and effects. The possibilities are endless, however it is not easy to dial in sounds that sound exactly like the real thing (however it is doable and after a learning curve you can do it easily). On the other hand it is VERY easy to dial in crappy sounds in the Axe and you will sound worse than POD presets. Now if you want the flexibility are in for a bit of learning (while the Fractal Forums are awesome helpful) and like to fiddle around for the perfect tone, the Axe is your thing. I have one and love it till the end of days prolly.

The last thing to consider is of course IMAGE.
The Engl definately screams guitarist and most beginners and even non-guitarists will see that you play a pro-tool and hence must be a king in the lands of guitarists.
The Axe however does not look as cool (more like a HiFi receiver) and people will ask you what you play, plus several wannabe guitarists will diss you as a "fool that plays a modeller". I noticed that pimping your rack with much lights and racktuner etc. helps to make up for it :p

#3 ·
You are right, it is personal preference.

I could only play the Engl for 10min, so no real review from me, but the unit is a killer sounding pre-amp. If you are satisfied with the tones the Engl can produce and want a "real tube" than this is definately a thing to look into. It is a killer unit and much less complex than an Axe, as you can dial in tones easily and get killer sounds. However it is versatile enough for many cases, as in you can also dial in crappy sounds, but tweaking it is quite easy.

Now the Axe has a lot of amps and effects. The possibilities are endless, however it is not easy to dial in sounds that sound exactly like the real thing (however it is doable and after a learning curve you can do it easily). On the other hand it is VERY easy to dial in crappy sounds in the Axe and you will sound worse than POD presets. Now if you want the flexibility are in for a bit of learning (while the Fractal Forums are awesome helpful) and like to fiddle around for the perfect tone, the Axe is your thing. I have one and love it till the end of days prolly.

The last thing to consider is of course IMAGE.
The Engl definately screams guitarist and most beginners and even non-guitarists will see that you play a pro-tool and hence must be a king in the lands of guitarists.
The Axe however does not look as cool (more like a HiFi receiver) and people will ask you what you play, plus several wannabe guitarists will diss you as a "fool that plays a modeller". I noticed that pimping your rack with much lights and racktuner etc. helps to make up for it :p
Dude, seriously? Image? :?

#7 ·
well image is still not a concern for me since I'm playing at home and doing some recording stuff :)
However extensibility is always welcome...

And because of neighbours I like to keep it quiet sometimes.. I suppose the Axe-Fx sounds better through headphones than the Engl preamp. The preamp has a line out with speaker simulator but honestly I dunno how it sounds.. probably not so good.

Ok now let's suppose for a second that I want to practice a bit at home in low volume but with good tone! Both units can be connected to a normal speaker system using line-out. I'm assuming for a moment that in this scenario the Axe will sound better due to power amp modelling that the Engl probably doesn't have.

So assuming if would go for the Engl and I want some good low volume sound, is there any low wattage power amp that I can use it with ?
I'm thinking for a second that I could get a Blackstar HT-5 and hook the Engl into it using the Fx-loop... how it will sound I have no idea. I heard it takes pedals well so it shouldn't complain about the Engl.
Or I could get a simple 1x12 cab and a Rocktron velocity 100 as a solid state power amp... also wonder if this will be too much already for home use... they're still a bit expensive though

and since I already have a POD, I also wonder what happens if I connect the ENGL to it and ditch the amp simulation but keep the cabinet sims on... dunno if it will sound any good. It's kinda hard to try alll these scenarios specially when hardly anybody I know nearby has either the Engl or the Axe

#8 ·
just get a Blackstar HT-5, for practicing, it will give you the best tone in this price and wattage range. No need for Engl and Axe FX.

For recording, if you need a lot of tones, get a Cornford Carrera or similar (not sure how much they are in the states) and (with emphasis on and - these two amps will cost less than axefx and they are rather top of the game when it comes to low wattage amps) maybe new 15 Watt Mesa head and spent the rest of the money on decent mic like sm57 - here you go, instant high end-ish recording. You will never have to upgrade any software as well and these amps retain their value (some ever gain) if you ever get bored of them.

As far as Axe FX goes, "don't be a fool playing a computer". I never played Engl preamp but I have found no modeller which would sound and react as good as proper valve amp and I had them all, that includes AxeFX (axefx users are just more religious about computer they using, because of the money they spend.. you know, buyers remorse and stuff ;) ). If you really so keen on emulation, try revalver.. it's quite good (you've already got a pod as well)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.