Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows that the Jem is the ultimate shred axe, amazing for speed, each measurment on the next is perfect for that technical style. What other guitars are made for this purpose? I heard the Parker fly is supposed to be good... what else?

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
There are countless guitars which shred just as good as a JEM, if not better. I'm partial to RG's with Wizard necks, but I have played many guitars which felt better and more enjoyable than any JEM or RG I've ever played. One of those was a Vigier Passion. Probably the best guitar I have ever layed my hands on. The JEM is not the ultimate shred axe, in my opinion. Far from it.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Everyone knows that the Jem is the ultimate shred axe, amazing for speed, each measurment on the next is perfect for that technical style. What other guitars are made for this purpose? I heard the Parker fly is supposed to be good... what else?
I saw the title of your thread and immediately said "Parker Fly"...but you already got that one.

My Fly practically plays itself! Awesome

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Lots. EB Petrucci, Lynch ESP, Hammett ESP, ANY USA Jackson, Charvel,
I like YJM Strats- and they don't even have the locking trem.

But my little 1991 550DY blows them all away. It's tricked out, of course- but it absolutely KILLS any Jem I've had (and that's quite a few!)

I learned a secret a few years back:

Pick a 'good' quality guitar....then YOU mold YOURSELF to that guitar and YOU become one with it and then it'll be the best guitar for you. Really.
There is no secret weapon- it takes long hard work to become a great player and once you've chosen the guitar the rest is up to you. :^)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Much as it pains me (and I should add I am not a shredder), I prefer playing my Parker Fly or PRS Custom 22 over the various JEMs I have sitting at home - whether they are as good, or better than the JEMs I don't know, they just happen to suit me - the Parker in particular just plays itself - wonderful guitar!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, now you guys are scaring me, because im about to be buy a jem... mybe I should think about somethign else?

There are countless guitars which shred just as good as a JEM, if not better. I'm partial to RG's with Wizard necks, but I have played many guitars which felt better and more enjoyable than any JEM or RG I've ever played. One of those was a Vigier Passion. Probably the best guitar I have ever layed my hands on. The JEM is not the ultimate shred axe, in my opinion. Far from it.
interesting Dee... what features do you think stop the jem from being the ultimate shred guitar. I would've thought its neck would be perfect. Nice flat radius, thin neck, big frets... whats wrong with it? I would liek to hear some critisizem on the jem.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Ok, now you guys are scaring me, because im about to be buy a jem... mybe I should think about somethign else?

interesting Dee... what features do you think stop the jem from being the ultimate shred guitar. I would've thought its neck would be perfect. Nice flat radius, thin neck, big frets... whats wrong with it? I would liek to hear some critisizem on the jem.
To buy Guitars based on someone else's opinions instead of playing them yourself to see what suits you best is just plain dumb!!! :roll:
Go and play some of the guitar brands that have already been suggested in this thread and make your own decision!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cant always do that esspecially aroudn where I live... everytime I go tot a store looking for a jem, they dont have one... nor they ever have a Yngwie sig, so theres now ay there gunn have parker or, Virgier or w/e. Im just interested in hear othe rpeoples opinions, is that such a crime... its not like im gunna go and buy a guitar based on what someone else likes, btu hwo can i learn abotu guitars without learn a bit from many different people. anyways, any critisism on the jem?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Cant always do that esspecially aroudn where I live... everytime I go tot a store looking for a jem, they dont have one... nor they ever have a Yngwie sig, so theres now ay there gunn have parker or, Virgier or w/e. Im just interested in hear othe rpeoples opinions, is that such a crime... its not like im gunna go and buy a guitar based on what someone else likes, btu hwo can i learn abotu guitars without learn a bit from many different people. anyways, any critisism on the jem?
It is not a crime! but it is important for you to try out the guitar that you are contemplating on purchasing! any decent name brand guitar when set up correctly and with good pups can play well! yet it is up to you to find a guitar that feels good in your hands.

I own many different guitar brands and have many many favorites amongst them but I would say that my Ibanez JPM's are on top the list followed by my Fender HM Strats

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
anyways, any critisism on the jem?
I find the JEM a little "generic" sounding (PAF Pro equipped) in comparison to the Parker, although I dropped a Tone Zone into the bridge position on one of my JEMs, and that sounds superb! Quality control is not always quite up to what I would expect, but then again, you can level that criticism against all major brands these days

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is not a crime! but it is important for you to try out the guitar that you are contemplating on purchasing! any decent name brand guitar when set up correctly and with good pups can play well! yet it is up to you to find a guitar that feels good in your hands.

I own many different guitar brands and have many many favorites amongst them but I would say that my Ibanez JPM's are on top the list followed by my Fender HM Strats
mmm whats a JPM?

EDIT: I guess you meant JEM right...

·
Registered
8,514 Posts

Hey mate, there's nothing wrong with the JEM's at all, as far as playability goes they are usually superb. If it feels to you like the best guitar, that's the only thing that matters. Who am I to argue. All I can do is post my opinion, and to me they are not the best guitars I've played. First time I played a JEM was 1987. It was awesome. I've tried FP's, LNG's, 777's, 7's, 77's, you name it, and most of those were exceptionally great guitars. They just aren't the best I've tried. One of the best I have played was a green PRS semi. I don't even know what the model number was (I should, because it was in the shop where I worked), but it just came alive in my hands and it seemed I couldn't do anything wrong on it. Know what I mean? Everything I tried to do, I pulled off, because the instrument took all the restrictions away and I felt right at home on it.

The Vigier Passion (I understand they are pretty much impossible to find now, and if you do find one it'll be expensive) was just amazing. Everything was right, just like the PRS, and then some more. Since then I have played many great guitars including the Parker's, Charvel's, Jackson's, Music Man, high-end Custom Shop Gibsons and Fenders, some great Yamaha's, and almost every brand you can think of. Some blew the JEM's away, and some were total dogs.

What I don't like about the JEM's are the useless, flashy features (monkey grip, etc) and the extra cash you're shelling out for the Vai name association. That money can be spent on better things. I would really like to buy a Carvin built to my own spec. I think I'd end up with a better guitar if I was to spend the same amount on a JEM as a custom Carvin.

Basically, though, it's up to you. If you connected with a JEM and it "spoke to you", then maybe that's what you should buy. You'll know it when you find the exact right guitar, and you will always remember it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my biggest gripe about my JEM777SK is how the high e string so readily slips off the side of the neck when i'm playing, even though i'm using .010s!!! i'd hate to think what it would be like if i was using .009s!!! my only other gripe is that it sounds pretty anemic compared to my Prestige, and RBMNT!!! i can't really comment on the newer JEMs, but i'll stick to my Zacharys!!!:D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.