Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in KY for an extended Memorial Day holiday. Four of my fishing buds and I drove 600 miles to a friend's house, located on a small farm in Adair County, near Russell Springs. We fished for trout and floated on the Cumberland River, rode ATVs on the numerous trails, blasted a few hundred .22 & .44 rounds, played guitars and told stories on the porch, baled hay (aching back), chased a bull (a sober man would never attempt this), burned a few bonfires, cussed like sailors and drank many beers. I'm glad we brought plenty beer with us from MD. The closest place to buy alcoholic beverages is 2 counties and a 45 minute drive away.

This was my 2nd trip there in as many years to this beautiful part of the country. Everytime I think about it, I want to move there. The area is such a contrast to the hustle and daily grind of the MD / DC way of life. Land is cheap, but the chances of my wife and I finding employment close enough to avoid an hour drive to work is slim. Maybe we'll retire there in 15-20 years.

I know of a few Jemsiters from KY (sniperfrommars1 is in Richmond and trouble311 is in Lexington), are there any others?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have lived in KY my entire life. I was born and raised on a farm in northern KY. I have put up way too many bales of hay and cut/housed more tobacco than I care to remember. I wound up going to college in southwestern KY (Murray State). My first job out of college was in Corbin, KY (southeastern KY). I went trout/walleye/striper fishing several times down there with co-workers. I also got to see 2 moonbows at Cumberland Falls. I moved back to northern KY about 5 years ago. I am about 15 minutes south of Cincinnati or about 75 minutes north of Lexington.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Well scenery wise its great. There are good things about living here, but i do wish I was around more people like me. Its crazy how well shredders and bluegrass guitarist get along though. They have more in common than one would think.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The difference in the cost of land and building a home in rural KY, compared with the suburban area I live in is astounding.

The place we stayed in KY is a 25 acre farm, of which 10 acres are fertile bottom land and the other 15 are wooded hills for hunting and atv riding. My friend Jay, who owns the farm, is a professor at a small college nearby. He paid $70,000 for the land, a nice old log farmhouse built in the year 1800, and a 1600 square ft. modern, ranch style modular home. His property taxes are about $300 per year. The government pays him $500 per year NOT to grow tobacco.

The average price of a 1600 sq. ft. home in Pasadena, on a .25 (1/4) acre lot is about $400,000. The property taxes are about $2250.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts