Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I bought the Goldo backbox and installed it in my 1570.

I had looked at the old thread about the backbox, and the problems they experienced are ones I have except there weren't all the results to what they were going to try out.

One issue- when you pull back on the bar, the knurled knob moves back as it's supposed to, BUT when it's pulled back it becomes loose- so loose that it turns itself changing how far away the backbox "pusher" is. - one person said they tried duct tape residue, another said they tried plumbers/ Teflon tape. Nobody ever said that had worked or not and before I try it I want to make sure It works before I start taking the thing apart.

Second- there's this obnoxious loud pop noise as soon as you pull back the bar. It's very loud and you can feel it through the bar. I don't know what it is and nobody ever said anything about what could be done to fix that. Someone said grease or something but i just want to make sure it will work.

This is a video detailing that pop sound. It comes through the amp as well as being able to feel it. Any methods on fixing the pop would be fantastic.

I'm starting to think buying a backstop for $200 might be worth it lol.

This is the video-

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wonder if you installed the backbox too far and the edge of the thickest part of the piston is making that noise when it comes out from inside the body of the backbox... Did you understand? I'm not sure though... Maybe if you change your tremolo rest position for a while you could test that theory. Also make sure there is some tension in the backbox spring itself in rest position so nothing is that no parts are "loose" in the rest position of the tremolo.

Plumbers tape works. I was able to make everything so tight that I needed pliers to twist the screws. They don't have to be that tight though. One round of tape might be enough.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I did to cut down on the shock that goes through the body when you do a flutter is put some foam underneath the box before screwing it down

It absorbs much if the impact while still being screwed down tight. The click is much less noticeable now.

I just used some Teflon tape in the screws and It worked fine. I'll still buy an ibanez backstop, but that will probably be in the far future now that this thing is working good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts