Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

I have a lots of trouble these days with the tremolo (edge & lopro) , you know the "return issue". this kill me ....

usualy when I tune 0 cents on a 12th harmonic on the G strings after a dive ' till the strings fall
(and recheck with plenty dive more) and then pull the trem up (up to a 5th for me) the tuner read +06 , +07 (everytime)

this, is going worst and worst as time past.

I want to put the backstop just for "the return in pitch everytime" I dont care about the double strings bend and
the breaking strings. so minimum pressure. I m looking for the esp backstop

here s what I know ! , ? , maybe not , so teach me !!!

the good :
1 - return in pitch everytime !!!!!!!!!! wouahh just can believe
2 - don t mind about the tremolo gravity ?
3 - more sound ?

the bad :
4 - no longer flutter but still possible a little one ?
5 - more force for pull up ( Popeye the Sailor ' arm) ?
6 - more sound (the click) ?

thanks .... many thanks !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the experience of other people can save me many dollars and I m on a forum
for exange some ideas and discuss the in and out about them.
I think a forum is made for this . maybe I m wrong !!!??? ;-)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
I installed backstop last time and I remove it, I still prefer the tone of no backstop I don't know why plus the freedom of the trem. +1 on what jimmy says you don't like it you remove it and sell it at the same price. Many people says this I can tell you I don't like the backstop but if you try it and like it so.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
I installed it and removed it. You can get near perfect tuning following Rich's setup guide at ibanezrules.com provided you've got a decent trem. Edge, Lo-pro or Edge pro. Regarding flutter Vai has backstops on all his guitars and he gets heaps of flutter. I removed my backstop cause I felt and heard the point when the trem block makes contact with the springs and that annoyed me. It was also a little noisy.... but I may not have set it up right. I've kept it in case I can be bothered trying to install it again but properly by strictly following the setup guide. Thats probably the only way to truly know if its good for you or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the trem was just received 1 month ago from rich harris and filled by him.
as soon as i received the trem and the new post I have a 14 cents difference.
I filled by myself the knife and +06,+07 , as time past I see a +08 , +09 difference
so I refilled the knife : no change
I change the post for a new ones : + 12 , +13 !!!!!!!
I re put the old one +12 , +13 !!!!!!
(in each case same settle for the trem angle ,post height, strings fully strech , guitar perfect in tune , no loose nuts in anyways , no loose anchors , etc)

I re re filled the knife edge ...... +10 , +11 !!!!
add some chapstick +10, +11 !!!!

now I can t refilled because the knife gonna loose her life.

you are all right , the only final decision is the try .

·
Registered
55 Posts
The JS1200 that I recieved from Rich, has stayed in perfect pitch for me, whammy and all, even straight out of the case. With the exception of a tiny bit of flatting or sharping fresh out of the case, but after its warms up everything is perfect. For me, I have found that making sure that the strings are good and stretched, I have had very little issues with tuning stability.

On another note, the Doug Doppler Whammy DVD he recommends after doing a dive, to slightly pull up on the bar during the return to offeset the pitching, and then on pull ups on the return dip the bar a bit. That technique also works for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont desagree the rich's works in anyway .
his knifes filled was perfect.
and its surelyme that loose something , ex : maybe the trem need some time to make his place against the stud or ... I dont know....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yer that's weird. For me it took alot of time just adjusting the back springs to get the right amount of tension.

·
Vendor
26,313 Posts
You shouldn't have filled again, you made the edges too thin.

My strobe doesn't tell me cents but a trem never comes back even accross all strings. The bass strings should be very close, the G string will be the furthest sharp, the B second furthest. Touch the bar past neutral to reset trem and it should be back perfect. If it's not you have another problem.

·
Vendor
26,313 Posts
If neutral is always perfect you shouldn't be that far out with pullup return.

I don't like any "devices", I prefer unencombered trems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought three years ago 2 rockinger backstop (put in the same config as ibanez one) the problem was the washer move in his base plate , but what expect from a 14 euros device...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts