Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new here. I am seriously thinking about getting the latest Bad Horsie Jem. I am the owner of an 88FP and the blk universe with the seeing eye that is currently available. I am happy with both of these guitars except the FP has seemingly low output pickups compared to the newer models.

I admit to not being to "up" on the Ibanez world, I just really enjoy playing casual guitar and listening to Steve's music and trying to play his licks. I was just really taken back by the macho looks of this latest guitar (which I just found out about yesterday) and am really considering getting one.

Are there any drawbacks or considerations that I should be aware of before making this purchase. I noticed that it has a basswood body, which I believe is a change from the previously offered models. Was there any paticular reason for this? Also I haven't been able to find many clear shots of this guitar. Can anyone tell me if there is a binding around the body?

Finally, the pickups in the Universe sound great, are the 6 string equivelent in this Jem?

Thank you very much for you help
Major Tom

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Both your ibanez guitars have basswood bodys, so this is not an issue. The new instrument how ever doesnt seem to be well suited to the player, as it would scratch and dent rather easily. You may wish to get a more durable, 7dbk, which has a textured black finish, with mirror guard and breed pickups. Although quality wise, it is a step down from the bad horsie. My overall suggestion would be to purchase a used jem7vwh to use as a player, as this has an alder body, and the evolution pickups. Also along those lines are the 7bsb which has a burnt stained blue finish. The pickups in the universe series are blaze, blaze 2, and blaze customs as far as I know, ive never heard of anyone asking for a particular pickup that sounds like these. You may wish to call dimarzio up and ask them what 6 string pickup they would compare to the blaze, and have a new set put into your 88FP.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
All of those guitars are basswood bodies, except the 7VWH which is alder. Your FP should have the PAF pickups. Bad Horsie has breed pickups and the 7VWH has EVOs. (The UV is Blaze as you know.) The biggest issue with the Bad Horsie is the mirror front, which will likely crack at some point, and the rather excessive price tag for what you get (a point of raging debate of course). If that's the look you want, then go for it. If you like the UV, you will probably be very happy with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I didn't think about the cracking issue, bu tI did just read some threads where scratching was considered a major issue. The pickguard on my Universe is in really great shape considering the amount of time I have spent playing it so that thought never crossed my mind.

What do you think about just buying an aftermarket body and building my own? I found a link to a site called ATD, as well as one on Jemsites main page that had some really nice stuff on it. Do you know if the bodies are of similar quality/design? Also are necks tough to find?

I have that need a new guitar feeling....

thanks for taking the time to respond
Major Tom

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I own a new mirror top Jem(BRMR), I've had it since early March 2005.

1st off the BRMR IS a players guitar, I don't know where these people come up with this stuff, I bet you I'm the only one posted that HAS one. I own a VWH too, and I love playing my BRMR more....it feels great , sounds great, and plays even better.

2nd I've had NO problems with the finish at all.. NO scratches except the pick guard, which is the same scratches you'll get on any pick guard. You said you own a UV777BK, that has a mirror pick guard... same thing that's on the BRMR.... that scratches. I have not had any scratches on the body and I play it just about everyday. The finish is more durable than people would expect , especially people who don't own one and like to speculate because it makes them feel smart...idiots. I wouldn't worry about the finish...sheesh.

3rd I like the pickups in the BRMR, in fact I like them better than the EVO pups (which a lot of people will tell you are just great blah blah blah). I've been using my BRMR for MOST of my recording these days if that gives you any idea of how good it sounds.

4th Yes there is binding around the body.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sithlordsteve2000/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=d0fa.jpg&.src=ph

There are some pics for you, but it's ahard guitar to take good pics of.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
You may wish to get a more durable, 7dbk, which has a textured black finish, with mirror guard and breed pickups. Although quality wise, it is a step down from the bad horsie.
Why do believe the 7DBK is a step down from a 77BRMR. They have same pickups, bridge, wood material and both are MIJ?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
those 6-piece body shots of the DBK leave a foul taste in your mouth - and were never explained - but for all you know the BH could be using the same techniques. The average person determines "step down" simply by pricetag and the bad horse has them all beat there :lol:

imho the only "drawback" of the bad horsie (vs any other non-555 JEM) is that price tag ...glen

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree too, they only drawback is the steep price..... but it's still better than Gibson or PRS pricing.

I'm curious too why the DBK is a step down quality wise.... It's basically the same guitar with a different finish and inlays....and price too.

What's different "quality wise" sniperfrommars1 ? Do you own both or is this just speculation again ?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
to answer your question about building one, the bodies you can get from a lot of the aftermarket guys are great. I would not be afraid to use one at all from LGM or EKG or a lot of the sites you have probably seen people talk about. Necks are kind of pricey though. If you want a actaul jem neck you will have a hell of a time finding one. Original wizards are a good choice and seem to be fairly abundant. You could always have one custom made too. You probably won't save much though unless you already have all the hardware, pickups and such laying around to put into you project.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
GTR-MAN said:
I agree too, they only drawback is the steep price..... but it's still better than Gibson or PRS pricing.

I'm curious too why the DBK is a step down quality wise.... It's basically the same guitar with a different finish and inlays....and price too.

What's different "quality wise" sniperfrommars1 ? Do you own both or is this just speculation again ?
As Glenn mentioned above, their were some pictures floating around of what the dbk actually is *maybe not all of them* but at least some have been seen with 6 piece bodys. Speculation is one thing, of course opinion is another so I post mine as often as I can in the hopes to help someone choose a guitar he wont be disappointed with. Do I think the dbk is an inferior guitar? No, it is simply not held to the same quality standards as teh 7vwh or BRMR, they are two different quality standards, look at it like the difference between a camaro, and a corvette, both are fast cars, just ones alot faster ;). The dbk is a great instrument, ive played several, and have always been impressed, but it in no is it the same as the 7vwh or BRMR that can in some cases cost 1000 dollars more. If it did why doesnt everyone play dbk's then? I dont need to own both to form an educated opinion on an instrument.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your replys,especially GTR-MAN for the pics. I have a couple of questions for you since you actually own one, when you polish the guitar does the cloth leave fine marks. I ask this because if you polish or wipe off lexan or plex it will sometimes leave fine marks? (I'm assuming that thats what the face is made of)

Also is this a new model that will see years of production or is this something that is fairly limited? Or is that something only Ibanez knows?

It appears that the binding is the pearloid type that is on the latest Universe, is that right?

Do you know exactly how the finish is applied? Is it a mirror with a lamenent on it or what?

thanks a million for all of your help! I am truely grateful.

Major Tom

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I use a nice soft hand towel (I only use it on my guitars) and some dunlop guitar polish. I don't notice streaks or marks of any kind when I do. THe only part of it that seems to scratch is the pick guard, same kind of wear that's on my UV777BK's pick guard. Eventually I'm sure to see scratches , as all finishes scratch, it's just we normally don't see them because they don't stand out like they would on a mirror, but so far none. I'm impressed with how durable the finish really is.

Yes the binding appears to be the same as used on the UV777BK.

I don't know exactly how the finish is applied, but from evrything I've gathered is Ibanez glues or laminates the mirror film used on the pickguards , and covers it with a thick clear coat.

I don't know how long Ibanez will make them, they;'re not mentioned as a limited model.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Isn't that a very similar finishing technique to the floral pattern jems?

If they have a thick clear coat as with any other guitar, they should be reasonably durable.

I still don't think they are worth the money though. Maybe if the inlays etc. were better.

Major Tom,

As far as building your own goes. I wouldn't see it as cost cutting exercise, as it will probably cost you nearly as much as buying the original, not to mention the hassle involved. Plus a copy of an original model wont necessarily have anything like the re-sale of the true ibanez item.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do I think the dbk is an inferior guitar? No, it is simply not held to the same quality standards as teh 7vwh or BRMR
Nope, "quality standards" are the same for all MIJ Jems, or so we are lead to believe... In fact, who knows how many pieces of basswood lie under the mirror, or, how many pieces of alder lie under the basswood veneer on VWHs...

I dont doubt the BRMR is an awesome axe, still, for that kind of cash id get a couple older jems which (to me) are better :)

ps: the DBK and BRMR have different bridges, and the DBK has the advantage there ;) *

* (feel of the bridge is personal, and I like old bridges best... durability is something that cant be proven yet, but facts should tip the scale in favor of the Lo Pro...)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
marianozz said:
Nope, "quality standards" are the same for all MIJ Jems, or so we are lead to believe... In fact, who knows how many pieces of basswood lie under the mirror, or, how many pieces of alder lie under the basswood veneer on VWHs...

I dont doubt the BRMR is an awesome axe, still, for that kind of cash id get a couple older jems which (to me) are better :)

ps: the DBK and BRMR have different bridges, and the DBK has the advantage there ;) *

* (feel of the bridge is personal, and I like old bridges best... durability is something that cant be proven yet, but facts should tip the scale in favor of the Lo Pro...)
I agree with you about the original edge, but hasnt the dbk been available with the edge pro design overseas? I dont know for a fact that they are held to different quality standards, I do beleive though that they are, or at least simply arent given the same care. I know any company wants to provide a product at the best possible even standard across the board, but when cost is escalated to the point of difference between a guitar like the vwh and the dbk, I simply refuse to beleive that one is honestly that much more expensive than the other based purely on inlay and body wood and or quality alone. Not to mention the dbk multipiece body rumours that have been going around, I havent personally stripped one of these bodys but who knows what lies beneath that finish.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I was playing with applying a mirror top well before the new JEM came out. It's not easy, so maybe there is a lot of scrap? Maybe the tooling was expensive? Then, you have the binding. Easy to sand excess glue off a standard body, but depending on when they bind, you have to keep the glue off the mirrored top. Just a few things to consider.

·
Registered
422 Posts
BTW Major Tom, you were asking about a 6 string equivalent of the Blaze pickups in the UV. I haven't used one, but Dimarzio says themselves that the closest match is the Steve's Special. I have the PAF Pros in my RG and I like them to an extent. I definately have thought about switching them out though. I doubt that you'd want to change the pups if you got the BH with the Breeds, but just thought I'd add that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.