Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Bad intonation on single string

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mickmetal 
#1 ·
I have a 1570L Prestige which is dropped down to c standard tuning on a set of 11-52 gauge strings and I cannot find a guitar tech who can fix the intonation problems I'm having on the g string (which is tuned to D#/Eb).

The natural harmonics I get on the string sorta shift in and out of pitch like an automatic vibrato that shifts out of tune. I also get this noise when I play on anything above the 12th fret on the 3rd string. The sound is very similar to the sound of tuning your guitar with harmonics when one of the strings is out of tune; except my strings are in tune and I get this bad sound when only the G string is played...

The intonation of the other strings were bad, but not nearly as bad as the G string. I've had the intonation adjusted twice by two different techs in less than a month apart.

Is the neck of my guitar bad and going to have to be replaced? Is it possible that the Edge Pro trem isn't setup correctly? I'm pretty lost...any information would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
First my friend the manual that comes with the prestige guitar says that the EDGE PRO is designed to work optimally with a set of .009 gauge strings. You might try this instead of paying some monkey to adjust your intonation. Second make sure that all the saddles are lined up correctly on the trem base plate. I do understand that you are tuning very low and you need the bigger string gauge but you have to make sure that the extra pressure is being made up for. Third sometimes a slight buzz in the action can make a note sound out of pitch or not intuned, also make sure your trem base plate is at the correct angle or everything will be wrong. Fourth use the prestige booklet and find the page about action and intonation i do believe that it's pages 28 and 29 in the english section. fifth, tune the guitar hold it in playing position compare the pitch of the string pressed down at the 12th fret with the harmonic at the 12th fret, if the pitch played at the 12th fret is lower than the harmonic move the bridge's string saddle forward to shorten the string length. If the pitch is too high move the saddle backward too lengthen the string. I hope this helps,Steve:D One last thing if you have tried all this and nothing works contact Rich Harris at Ibanez rules on the web, If Rich can't fix it it can't be fixed!!!!! here is his info phone#856-468-3922 please do not call after the hours that i list sunday-thursday 11am to 9pm. EST. friday and saturday 11am to 7pm also EST.

#3 · (Edited)
First my friend the manual that comes with the prestige guitar says that the EDGE PRO is designed to work optimally with a set of .009 gauge strings. You might try this instead of paying some monkey to adjust your intonation. Second make sure that all the saddles are lined up correctly on the trem base plate. I do understand that you are tuning very low and you need the bigger string gauge but you have to make sure that the extra pressure is being made up for. Third sometimes a slight buzz in the action can make a note sound out of pitch or not intuned, also make sure your trem base plate is at the correct angle or everything will be wrong. Fourth use the prestige booklet and find the page about action and intonation i do believe that it's pages 28 and 29 in the english section. fifth, tune the guitar hold it in playing position compare the pitch of the string pressed down at the 12th fret with the harmonic at the 12th fret, if the pitch played at the 12th fret is lower than the harmonic move the bridge's string saddle forward to shorten the string length. If the pitch is too high move the saddle backward too lengthen the string. I hope this helps,Steve:D One last thing if you have tried all this and nothing works contact Rich Harris at Ibanez rules on the web, If Rich can't fix it it can't be fixed!!!!! here is his info phone#856-468-3922 please do not call after the hours that i list sunday-thursday 11am to 9pm. EST. friday and saturday 11am to 7pm also EST. I am also a lefty!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 ·
First my friend the manual that comes with the prestige guitar says that the EDGE PRO is designed to work optimally with a set of .009 gauge strings. You might try this instead of paying some monkey to adjust your intonation. Second make sure that all the saddles are lined up correctly on the trem base plate. I do understand that you are tuning very low and you need the bigger string gauge but you have to make sure that the extra pressure is being made up for. Third sometimes a slight buzz in the action can make a note sound out of pitch or not intuned, also make sure your trem base plate is at the correct angle or everything will be wrong. Fourth use the prestige booklet and find the page about action and intonation i do believe that it's pages 28 and 29 in the english section. fifth, tune the guitar hold it in playing position compare the pitch of the string pressed down at the 12th fret with the harmonic at the 12th fret, if the pitch played at the 12th fret is lower than the harmonic move the bridge's string saddle forward to shorten the string length. If the pitch is too high move the saddle backward too lengthen the string. I hope this helps,Steve:D One last thing if you have tried all this and nothing works contact Rich Harris at Ibanez rules on the web, If Rich can't fix it it can't be fixed!!!!! here is his info phone#856-468-3922 please do not call after the hours that i list sunday-thursday 11am to 9pm. EST. friday and saturday 11am to 7pm also EST. I am also a lefty!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot, I think this'll help. The action on it should be good but I didn't try anything with the saddles, I'll take a look. Yeah, that's a problem with being left handed, it's difficult to find a great guitar that'll fit your style without getting a custom or buying something you can't try out. This is my first trem so I'm having a lot of problems with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.