Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the bridge pickup on my Malmsteen strat has been sounding quite harsh lately...so I measured the pickup resistance. It has Dimarzio HS3's in both bridge and neck.

Spec is 23.72 ohms. I took very careful measurements, isolating the pickups.

HS3 Bridge: 17.91 ohms (!)

HS3 Neck: 25.05 ohms.

So...am I correct in my belief that the bridge is toast?

Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes...funny, I re-checked it this morning, and get 25.99, which is within spec.

Bizarre.

I wonder if the switch could create the harshness, because I see a pretty dark track where the connection rides. Also, for years I have had an intermittent issue: sometimes, when I switch from bridge to neck, I lose all sound. It comes back when I flip the switch back and forth a couple of times. Could be adding some resistance there...but, could it cause harsh tone?

The tone pots appear smooth and appropriate in their readings. All connections look good (measure within tolerance). No truly reliable way for me to test the caps.

Hmmm. A switch is ~$15, I think I will go that route, but this really has me perplexed. What the heck could cause harsh tone?
I use good cables (tried several), the jack seems fine (solid connections).
I have had a pro setup done twice (very reputable place), tried 4 different brands of strings, changing EQ, etc.

Annoying!

Thanks for the input,
Bob

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hmmm that's way weird...

Going from 17.91 ohms to 25.99......
..... unsoldered :S

If you tested the pup unsoldered and comes up with these "random" values I wouldn't be suspecting the switch ( though the switch problem does point in the direction of a switch switch as well ( pun intended ) )
There could be a short in the pickup which only occurs sometimes.

"shake it like a polaroid picture !"

Testing while it is still installed is useless..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.