Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
depends on if the combo has input jacks for a high gain and low gain. My amp has both, so if i plug both at the same time it reverts to the low gain I think. That allows me to use a guitar and bass or two guitars at the same time.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
If you plug a bass into a guitar amp? Well, it works... but it's not ideal. a word of caution, if you do a lot of slap bass stuff, you'll want a compressor in line between the two, as the dynamic range of a bass goes from quite a bit lower than a normal guitar for unslapped stuff to WAY above while slapping, and aside from sounding horribly uneven, I wouldn't think it'd be good for the amp to hit it with anything that hot. Besides, you'll drive the amp in and out of distortion, which would sound odd, at least...

At the same time, a Fender Bassman was originally intended as a bass amp, so it all depends what sort of stuff you're playing.

-D

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The bass player in one of my bands uses a Roland JC120 for a bass amp. It worked for Jaco, and it works great for him :)

Don't know that I'd recommend trying a bass through a Dual Rectifier or not...it'd probably sound like crap. But, certain guitar combos work great for bass.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Actually, that thing has enough gain that it'd probably compress enough to be useable.

After the nu-metal thing started breaking out, I kinda wanted to start a band with just drums and a bass into a Recto, high string clean stuff coupled with low uber-high-gain percussive riffing. I think it'd make Korn and their puny little low B's sound like a bunch of pansies. :)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
LOL Yeah...very true regarding the gain/compression. I simply meant that it wouldn't really be ideal for obtaining the best bass tone.

But..."best" is subjective (as is all tone.)

If your Holy Grail of bass tone is Korn, then...ummm...go for it. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.