Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Evolution in a RG270. Honestly, I think it screams.

After searching the site here, it seems about split down the middle. Some say Evos sound like crap with basswood, others say they rip. Breeds seem to be the pup of choice for basswood. So either we've got serious tone snobification, or tone ignorance. If snobs are the order of the day, please explain Evo 7.

Discuss.

·
Registered
636 Posts
its all relative. different styles... different tastes. i think evos screamed in the jem i played but when i tried an evo7 in an RG7621 i didnt like it all. its supposed to be just a 7 string version but it must have been the basswood or something(though i hear others feel the same between the six and seven string versions).

if you like the sound then thats all that matters. they arent a really IMO what i consider to be a traditional sounding pickup so this might be why others have their dislikes about it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I like many dimarzios in basswood and alder, seymour duncans in mahogany and Gibsons or a good PAF reissue with a maple top. It's all matching pickups to bring out the best sounds in the wood.

I love the sound of the Evos in my 7vwh (alder). A couple of my friends are using Tone Zone/PAF Pros in their RGs and they sound hot!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i've always loved EVOs, they work great in just about anything. I personally really love the tone of my Jem 7wh, if i'm not mistaken that's a basswood ax and it has a great sort of stratocaster from hell tone. Really crisp and powerful with loads of sustain, any time i want something a little thicker i'll either employ an EQ or i'll pick up my mahogany tele with Seymour duncans in it, but as far as tone goes i think it's out of sight.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I had replaced my RG470 (basswood) bridge pickup with an EVO. and it ROCKED !!! it sure did as compared to V7. but now that i have played soo many pickups and guitars, I feel that the tone as little harsh. in technical terms kinda HIGH on mids and dry sounding. I also owned a JEM7VWH. Though the sound was bright, it was still pretty tight. Alder did justice to EVOs. \m/

·
Registered
138 Posts
I currently have the Tone Zone in my guitar and it's the RG 550 with basswood and the edge trem and it just rocks, but I wish it had that feed back thing that I think I got when I tried the EVO's in an alder bodied Jem.. I think that could have been the amp though, but I read that most people thought that the EVO's were hot enough to give good harmonic feedback!
Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.