Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David Gilmour...

-Near as I can tell, does NOT hit wrong notes. It's just one perfect note after the next, it's amazing.

-has an absolutely horrible vibrato. :lol:

Oh well, I'm just getting into these guys, and Gilmour's quickly becoming one of my favorite players, vibrato or no. :lol: I'm kicking myself for taking this long to do it, too, the man's a bloody genius.

-D

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I love Floyd so much. I had sort of taken them for granted until I pulled out my Roger Waters dvd the other day. It is fantastic. If you want to hear a long concert of great Floyd and Waters songs, Doyle Bramhall II and Snowy White trade solos during a fantastic concert. Amazing video and 5.1 mix.

Comfortably Numb is so powerful, it hits me harder than any "heavy" music

And if you can get past Roger's heavy drama (I love it, but some hate it) The Final Cut has some amazing guitar solos. The title track and "Not Now John" are just awesome. So is "Fletcher Memorial Home"

·
Registered
795 Posts
stretcher7 said:
You all check out the Live8 reunion. Chills man.
Oh yea- that was great. I mean, not their best performance ever or anything, but Gilmour was pretty much spot on everything. And Waters, while his singing ability has certainly dropped off, did very well. Just hearing the 4 of them together again was great!
-Ben

·
Registered
403 Posts
markg5150 said:
I've never really got into any Floyd, what album would be a good place to start ??
"The Dark side of the moon" it's a good start.
"Division Bell" (Marooned is a nice song) , "Wish you were here"....

·
Registered
86 Posts
David Gilmour is still one of my favorite guitarists...I think he demonstrates more than anybody else that a solo can still be magnificient without being played at a hundred miles an hour. I know a lot of people aren't into the post-Waters stuff, but I think "Division Bell" has some of Gilmour's best guitar work. Just about every song on that CD, especially the latter half, are excellent.

"Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish you were here" are also phenomenal. "The Wall" has some weird tracks, but also a lot of true timeless classics, like "Another brick in the wall part 2", and "comfortably numb." The solo in "Mother" was the first solo I ever learned. It's short and simple, but still one of my favorites.

If you want an absolutely incredible live album, pick up "Pulse." It's a good mix of the old and new.

-Jeff.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See, I was totally expecting to get flamed for the vibrato comment, lol. But yeah, the man's phrasing is just masterful.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? I can barely tell it's there. :lol: It's incredibly light (even my "classical" style vibrato is more pronounced), and he's got the "chipmunk on espresso" thing going for him.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Drew said:
Really? I can barely tell it's there. :lol: It's incredibly light (even my "classical" style vibrato is more pronounced), and he's got the "chipmunk on espresso" thing going for him.
First off try to replicate it. Second his vibrato is known or at least was for the being one of the best. he has one of the most unique vibratos ive ever heard and i really enjoy it. Anyways go buy the pulse dvd and watch some of his more fancy guitar work. The older stuff you may not really get that out of his playing but i always saw him as a really great musician

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
I really like Gilmour's work on Pete Townshend's "The White City". That is an amazing album, btw. Gilmour is a master, and he's got a great singing voice as well. As I said in another thread ;) 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' is a great post-Waters album to check out. I think you'll get more out of listening to his playing and vibrato the more you become accustomed to hearing him play.
So Drew, are you new to Steve Howe as well? There's lots of simply amazing stuff going on on some of those 70's prog albums...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Didn't I tell you like, 5 years ago that Floyd kicked tush? Recommended album purchase order:

Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
the Wall
Animals
Pulse
the Final Cut
Meddle

Everything before Meddle is trippy psychedelic music; Ummagumma has most of the better contributions. Hell will truly freeze over when you tell me that you finally realized how good the Police were.

-Devin

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sniperfrommars1 said:
First off try to replicate it. Second his vibrato is known or at least was for the being one of the best. he has one of the most unique vibratos ive ever heard and i really enjoy it. Anyways go buy the pulse dvd and watch some of his more fancy guitar work. The older stuff you may not really get that out of his playing but i always saw him as a really great musician
Whoah, deep breath, bro - I never questioned he isn't an excellent guitarist, in fact I specifically pointed out he's quickly becoming one of my favorites. But I've NEVER heard his vibrato described as "one of the best." If you like it, cool. Myself, I really don't care for it, and as such I have no desire to try to replicate it.

Just because I don't like the guy's vibrato doesn't mean we both don't agree he's a phenominally tasteful player. :lol:

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Devine said:
Didn't I tell you like, 5 years ago that Floyd kicked tush?
Yeah, but you tell me that about so much crap, I didn't take you too seriously. :lol: Kidding aside, I think we both know we have VERY different taste in music, and this is after I've largely kicked the punk habit. ;) (Still have a soft spot for the occasional Social Distortion album, though)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
jim777 said:
So Drew, are you new to Steve Howe as well? There's lots of simply amazing stuff going on on some of those 70's prog albums...
Good call. Next week we'll have a thread "i heard Yes songs" and I can't believe what i've missed! It's a shame many of you guys had to suffer thru 80s music growig up as kids :) ...glen

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.