Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had a guitar for 6 months now and although I'm not naturally gifted I'm getting good at the limited exercises I do, i can play the pentatonic scale and the first few bars of loads of songs.

I was wondering what songs you guys started to learn with, I need a few that are hard enough to make me learn, but easy enough that I can them nailed and get a feeling of acomplishment.

I think this is the hardest aspect of learning as I just dont know what to play at the moment.

I prefer playing cheesy rock style tunes, like poison, skid row etc but also like the 'chunka chunka squee' of heavy metal.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
A fun one to learn at your stage thats pretty easy but sounds cool is the opening lick to 'Sweet Child o Mine' by Guns n Roses.

·
Registered
403 Posts
now you are familiar with the pentatonic, try "Summer Song" (Joe Satriani) intro. It will give you a good example on how to correctly use this scale (assuming you are just doing normal progressions) and you will also exercise bendings.
Cheers
Ivan

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ibateur said:
In that case, look for tabs of songs you would like to play and play 'em. The web's full of them.
Agreed. Find songs you enjoy listening to and jam with them. Don't be afraid if it's over your current playing ability, that will simply push you to be better.

~R

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dayum, trying to push the kid into Speed Kills already. I think that's a bit of overkill. After two years of playing, I'm just now attempting to learn the Speed Kills stuff. It's not bad NOW but I used to have a real problem with learning stuff "slow" first like you're supposed to so if I couldn't get it up to speed after several goes then I would just leave it. This isn't so much of a problem now and I'm doing pretty well learning the song "No Boundaries" but had I attempted this after 6 months of playing I surely would have given up.

As for good beginner stuff, I started off with the good 'ole stuff like Metallica, Pantera, and Megadeth. If you can play all of their stuff, then it's usually not that difficult to move on to other things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts