Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so for a long time now i've been an all analog floor effects guy. My vintage Electric Mistress is pretty much irreplaceable for its lush tones, and I'm in love with my MXR carbon copy, but here lately I've been reading up on the original T.C. G-Major and found out it can do channel switching on quarter inch jack amps (like my Mesa Mark III) and wondering if it would really be worth my time in the long run to switch to the unit.

I do really enjoy the T.C. delays and reverbs, but don't know that much about the unit itself. I've heard there are some downsides like they can lock up (?) and possibly suck tone...

Anyone have experience with the G-Major wanna chime in. They are going pretty cheap on evilbay.

·
Registered
132 Posts
no...43 yrs old, played through a lot of stuff..i'm back to the roots, which is exactly what you have...mistress, carbon, evh flanger, phaser, tubescreamer, etc. the WAY to go...don't be lured by the modern crap...they can lock up, do change tone, and don't add the flavor a good stomp box does...a great guitar tone is a "dirty,messed up analog signal...digital is good in the final studio processes, but loud and broken up is the real deal. do not get rid of your pedals...Rock On !!!:twisted:

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
41 years old and I always hated pedals cause it's so dumb having to do stage tap dancing.
Besides that you can set your effects for each song and not only a generally setting for all songs.
Yeah racks are crap that's why the best players use them.
Pedals are great when you want an effect that racks don't have.
Besides all that stuff nobody at the stage(including you) and the audience would never notice the difference between using pedals and racks.
So a rack is a lot cheapier than buying separately all things they offer.
The majority who complain about racks don't even read manuals,you can see them in forums like this one asking how to do this or that with their racks.
G major is extremelly easy to use.

I have gmajor for more than 7 years and Xpression(rocktron)for more than 5 years and I use them with my mesa triaxis and 2.90.
Both have ultra clean sounds,no noise or something and I never had any problem with their controls or lcd displays and I gig about 2 days per week at least.
I can tell you I prefer Xpression.
The only reason is its chorus is ULTRA beautiful!

If you decide to buy a rack G Major is really awesome for its price.
But the golden rule is =

NEVER BELIEVE ON WHAT PEOPLE SAY,YOU HAVE TO TRY EVERYTHING BEFORE BUYING.WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES AND EARS SO TRY THEM FOR YOURSELF.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is true that you have to be your own judge...the only thing I would add is that you double-check with Mesa to make sure the G Major will actually do your channel switching. I've got a Mesa Roadster and it, like many other Mesas uses a switching method that requires ground...I dont remember the correct terminology and I'm too damn lazy to pull out my manual...but suffice to say, you'll want to verify that the switching method of the G Major is compatible. I was thinking of using a G Major in the effects loop for chorus, delays and whatnot...but I had a Nova system and really didn't care for how it affected my sound, I tried everything I could and while it was okay It wasn't great...I'm back to the tap dance.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...some good input here guys. I appreciate your opinions alot. I know the G-major has an EQ, but it will never get used, and same for the noise gate probably. I saw a clip on how it made a bunch of noise on a Fender amp...this made me think of just how much hiss it would generate in general (but Mesa's have a buffered effects loop) but that would be where the tonal difference is...I don't mind the tap dancing at all, but MIDI channel switching + effects simultaneously would be hella nice without moving to the RG-16 + amp gizmo, or the GCX + etc, because that's almost $1000 of gear.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's the beauty of modern technology--you can get a MIDI piece of gear and not have to give up your vintage pedals. The rack gear ends up acting like just another multi-function pedal in the right setup. Just get something like the Rocktron Patchmate 8 or the GCX Audio Switcher (both are $399, I think) and any simple MIDI pedal and you're in shape.

6fingers mentioned "Yeah, racks are crap, that's why the best players use them." It's true--look at Vai's G-system and he's got a BOSS DS-1 looped in, or Petrucci who has a tray of pedals looped into his Bradshaw rack, or Timmons who has a BB Xotic and a Fulltone OCD looped into his system (I think he uses GCX).

BTW--I have the Rocktron Patchmate 8 and the only thing it doesn't do (so far) is Momentary amp switching.

You CAN have the best of both worlds--you just gotta set it up right.

Cheers,

Race

·
Registered
465 Posts
Guitarist in my band had a G-Major, it was the most tediously unreliable thing ever and trying to set up your own patches outside of the presets was a nightmare.

The relays were useful, but mesa use pulse, not latching switching so it might not work.

You'd be better off with a GCX, trust me, though this is serious £££ (or $$$, whatever).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts