Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
One that works :D (I'm not bashing black metal, I love black metal)

All you need to do is turn up the gain really high, boost the highs and turn the bottom off so it hurts to listen :D .

A lot of black metal guitarist use Peavy 5150's I think. You could also use a marshall or mesa or whatever with a metal zone. The most crucial detail is that the amp is loud and bright as hell, IT MUST HURT TO LISTEN TO!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Crade of Filth used JCM900s in Russia

On rest of the European tour one guitarist used a Dual Rectifier and the other a Tri Axis and Rivera set up.

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cerealk said:

On rest of the European tour one guitarist used a Dual Rectifier and the other a Tri Axis and Rivera set up.

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both
But i mean real bm bands like burzum, darkthrone, mayhem, dark funeral...

·
Registered
128 Posts
For REAL black metal, I think the Mesa may be too.....modern(?) sounding? Perhaps too bassy with not enough mids (from my experience). I am familiar with Emperor and Darkthrone and the like, I think that a good high gain Marshall with an EQ would be fine. Possibly a later JCM900 model, the SLX maybe. Either way give things a try, but I think the Marshall/5150 route may be the one to go......

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Best amps for black metal? To be honest most of the early recordings feature a gvery bad production, one often mimicked in later recordings for that "authentic" black metal sound. Basically, I'd still go for a good valve amp, preferably one with clarity as you pick different strings as it tends to get messy and muddy otherwise, dial back the bass, up the mids treble and presence and slap gain on it. Personally I prefer using all tube gain, but if you really want that authentic type of sound then get a solid state distortion pedal so it sounds less than good. Otherwise, get a Peavey 5150 which should cover all your needs, or a dual rectifier. Old marshalls are good too. Something like that.

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both...
:lol: I thought I'd been imagining things. This explains it all. Time to see the shrink.

Currently I think Mayhem's guitarist Blasphemer is using a Dual Rectifier. Other than that I don't know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7 Dying Trees said:

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both...
:lol: I thought I'd been imagining things. This explains it all. Time to see the shrink.

Currently I think Mayhem's guitarist Blasphemer is using a Dual Rectifier. Other than that I don't know.
Saw Mayhem Live .. he uses 2 Dual Reticifer´s :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brianboros said:
if you want Burzum tone, just buy a Metal Zone and go direct into whatever your recording into. :twisted: :twisted: :D :wink:
I have a Digitech Metal Master atmo.

i will buy a Marshall JCM800 with the Boss Metal Zone and/or ProCo Rat Distorion and a Rane GE130 EQ

i think that this setup is cool.. :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Holy crap, I cant believe no one recommended the Randall Warhead. Or did they? I might of missed it. I saw someone say Randall. Anyway, the Warhead is a tubeless beast that kicks ass for any kind of metal. Trust me, I played one with an ESP Hammett model plugged into it and OMG......wild stuff man. Dimebag has it goin on. For metal, its one of the best amps out there, hands down.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
He4D said:
brianboros said:
if you want Burzum tone, just buy a Metal Zone and go direct into whatever your recording into. :twisted: :twisted: :D :wink:

i will buy a Marshall JCM800 with the Boss Metal Zone and/or ProCo Rat Distorion and a Rane GE130 EQ

Please... Don't use a metal zone... They are ****... Try and find an amp that will give you a sound without using pedals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
7 Dying Trees said:
He4D said:
brianboros said:

Please... Don't use a metal zone... They are stuff... Try and find an amp that will give you a sound without using pedals.
Hm a amp wich will give me my sound would be a reticifer (too expensive) or an Peavey 5150 II

·
Registered
270 Posts
He4D said:
Hm a amp wich will give me my sound would be a reticifer (too expensive) or an Peavey 5150 II
A Randall Warhead would blow either of those 2 out of the water for metal, hands down. Dont discount it until you try it.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guitarlos2 said:
He4D said:
A Randall Warhead would blow either of those 2 out of the water for metal, hands down. Dont discount it until you try it.....
i hadnt found a dealer in germany wich sells them

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Mesa DC-10 head through an older mesa vertical 212 with 200 watt Ev and a 150 watt Celestion does the trick pretty well - especially with the built in eq (it can go from whimpering and whining to huge and booming).

The DC-10 sounds rectifier modern and mark vintage at the same time, so it's great for metal of all sorts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why do you have to have a specific tone to play black metal. Try out a line 6. It should have plenty of distortion, and chorus settings to suit your needs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts