Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys sit on if you're sitting down? Most chairs I find sort of uncomfortable unless I'm sitting right on the edge.

I was thinking maybe getting a few bar stools for my music room, especially after I get my drum room sorted. I'd like to play with more people and I want anyone coming over to jam to be comfy.

Thoughts? (Does anyone else ask these questions? I think I ask some of the odder ones around here.)

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Chairs?!
Dear Lord guys are becoming chicks!
Next will be about shoes?
:lol:
There are websites of doctors who take care expecially of musicians, just go there and ask them about it, I bet they'd give you a better answer than anybody here.
I did that about 11 years ago when I started my home studio and when I was working for some different studios, I bought a special chair for my size and body shape and use to carry it with me, my co-workers used to mock me but in the end of the day they were with back pain and I was laughing l;) :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about drum throne?
Search google for drum throne

Or

Search guitar center for stool..

I would love to make it easier for you by posting a link but im a newbit and dont have enough post count to post link yet

·
Registered
185 Posts
So anyone have anything USEFUL to add?

I'm not looking for a chiropractic device. Just something to chill on for a bit.
I use a Roc-N-Soc drum throne. You can get a barstool type for around $120, a manual or nitro drum throne type for about $150, and an optional backrest for any of them for another $50. Super comfortable, and well built. Hope that helps ;).

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
So anyone have anything USEFUL to add?

I'm not looking for a chiropractic device. Just something to chill on for a bit.
I can't think about something more clever and useful than telling you to ask about it to a chiropractic.
If you just want 'something to chill on for a bit', for god sake just buy any chair.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In all seriousness to my last post though, Ekim, I figure if it's a place I can sit down and rock, it's good enough for me. I find myself sitting on top of a combo amp or the cabinet sometimes. Same @ 6finger's comment. If the shoes are comfortable, they are good enough to play guitar in. My drummer takes his off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find that certain styles of workout benches are great. Google images for the term " Portable Workout Bench " to see what I mean.

I prefer to play standing and find that they allow me to play in a position that feels more like standing than sitting - especially the benches that are built closer to the ground. For me, that means less "pins and needles" and lots of freedom for arms and axe. The folks that design workout stuff are big into ergonomics so they're generally nice and comfy, even after hours of playing. They're not lightweight, which gives you the security to be able to stomp and rock without worrying about falling on yer butt. And since they're built so sturdily with very few moving parts, the amount of unwanted squeaks and sounds are pretty much nil.

You can probably find one cheap on your local Craigslist and new ones run around 75 - 150 USD. I highly recommend giving one a try.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Avoid these Crate chairs at all costs, the tone the have is awful. Get a good Mesa stool and you'll be fine. They are perfect for a shred, blues, jazz, yngwie, satch, petrucci, gilbert tone and work great with REAL dimarzzios
So much joy.

I do remember reading an article about when Hendrix was recording Electric Ladyland he was using a certain kind of stool to get the best sound. I think Eddie Kramer found it somewhere in the U.K.....it used a special mahogany wood too.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Please don't get too upset.

I could only suggect something with no arms maybe?

-Wolfram

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.