Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for my next guitar purchase, I want a guitar that features nice mids and punchy bass, primarily for shredding and speed metal. I already have my blues sounds covered via my Strat.

I prefer:
-basswood or alder body
-24 fret maple neck
-rosewood fretboard
-Floyd Rose type tremolo system (locking nut too)
-H/S/S or H/S/H pickup configuration
-no Jacksons (bad experiences)

I was looking at the JEM7VSBL as seen here

To me, that thing looks beautiful, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. Would I be better off getting a custom Carvin instead? They have really nice custom options.

I would love to get a JEM, but I don't really like any of the current models availabe (White or Rock Mirror), as I don't want a guitar that Vai currently uses. I want to be somewhat unique.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yer kiddin, right?

A Jem is probably the FINEST instrument for shred playing.

And, it can do the blues thing too! That single coil makes all the difference.

I rock out the blues all the time with my two HSH RG550's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 2002 VSBL and I love it. It's great for shredding. If you watch evilbay or this forum, one will pop up soon. They are discontinued so you can't buy them new anymore.

But as others have stated, it's the player not the guitar. Some people, like myself, find it difficult to shred on a tune-o-matic style bridge that a lot of gibsons have, but Buckethead seems to be able to shred on his Les Paul just fine.

Carvin makes some really sweet guitars, however, I believe that they have custom sized pickups so it will be difficult to swap them for something else if you ever want to. I could be wrong on this point.

Also, if you like the VSBL, you might want to find one of these at a local guitar shop:

It's a Parker Nite-Fly. I have one and they rock.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would agree that if it's a decent instrument then the rest is in the hands of the player. Personally, I would look at the RG2xxx and 3xxx series guitars because they are very nice and can be total shred machines. JEMs are awesome guitars but a bit overpriced IMO and I was never a fan of the EVO pickups. For about half the price of a JEM you can get an RG2xxx guitar and if you don't like the stock Dimarzio IBZ pickups you can always swap em for some name Dimarzios or SDs or even EMGs if that's your thing.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
As they have all stated above, it's more of the player that finds a particular guitar for easy shredding. Vai uses Jems, Malmsteen uses Fender, Schon uses Les Pauls and PRS's, and Tony McAlpine shred pretty good on a Carvin. If you don't want a guitar that Vai currently uses, wait 'till next month when they bring back the DBK. Or if you want something unique and what Vai doesn't currently use, check this out:

Definitely something worth checking out. ;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could feel these responses coming on, lol.

Yes, yes, I know 99% of it has to do with the player, but besides that fact, which guitar has the best features (Floyd Rose, 24 frets, basswood body, etc) most commonly seen on shred guitars?

But yeah, that 7 string looks nice. I'll check it out too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
when i think of a shred guitar, i think of a somewhat "broken in" ibanez rg5xx. while i prefer the models with the maple fingerboards, they've got rosewood also. i guitar that you can drop, not care, and flatpick the sh*t out of is my choice.
also, used rg's aren't hard to come by, so they're usually affordable (general statement; no ee**** nerd disagreements please ;) )

·
Registered
970 Posts
You act as if you can't shred on any instrument. Anything works as long as you can play. Seems like you're talking about a JEM when it comes to features. There is no best; it all depends on the player's preference. If you want a new guitar that no one else in the world is using, good luck with that. Might as well create your own guitar. :p By the way, did you ever think of getting a used guitar? Hell, a used UV is still a UV! Well, good luck kiddo.
-Nordhauser

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that it is almost impossible to obtain a guitar that no one else is using, I just stated that I would rather not have a guitar that Vai is currently using.

As far as buying used goes, that is the probable route I was leaning towards anyways, as you cannot buy the VSBL brand new anymore.

I appreciate the help guys, but I just want to ley you know that I do NOT think that a certain guitar will make you play better. My reference to "shredding" was that I wanted a guitar with features seen on guitars that shredders, like Vai, use (ie - locking tremolo system, basswood body, etc).

Thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
You guys are silly!

Nobody ever suggested the guitar would play itself for you, OF COURSE buying a "shred" guitar aint gonna make you shred. Only years of dedicated practice will do that.

Its just that, a JEM or RG is gonna be a more suitable tool for the job (bustin' out the speed metal) than, say, a Les Paul or Stratocaster. Sure, you can do it with those, and probably get the job done just as good, but its not the BEST tool you could use.

IMO, for high gain, high speed playing, nothing can match a good, JEM, PGM, or RG.

(although, you said you dont like jacksons, but have you ever played the Phil CollENs ( ;) ) signature? I dont care much for Jacksons either, but GAWD! that thing is incredible!)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Gex said:
You guys are silly!

Nobody ever suggested the guitar would play itself for you, OF COURSE buying a "shred" guitar aint gonna make you shred. Only years of dedicated practice will do that.

Its just that, a JEM or RG is gonna be a more suitable tool for the job (bustin' out the speed metal) than, say, a Les Paul or Stratocaster. Sure, you can do it with those, and probably get the job done just as good, but its not the BEST tool you could use.

IMO, for high gain, high speed playing, nothing can match a good, JEM, PGM, or RG.

(although, you said you dont like jacksons, but have you ever played the Phil Collins signature? I dont care much for Jacksons either, but GAWD! that thing is incredible!)
Phil Collen -Collins plays drums

·
Registered
937 Posts
Check out a PGM i guess. That's a pretty good shred beast. Only downside to that is the fixed bridge.

Any RG5XX or RG1XXX would be good because they're relatively cheap and you can shred on them very well. You can also drop them and not care!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Kamikaze_1 said:
As they have all stated above, it's more of the player that finds a particular guitar for easy shredding. Vai uses Jems, Malmsteen uses Fender, Schon uses Les Pauls and PRS's, and Tony McAlpine shred pretty good on a Carvin. If you don't want a guitar that Vai currently uses, wait 'till next month when they bring back the DBK. Or if you want something unique and what Vai doesn't currently use, check this out:

Definitely something worth checking out. ;)
I love my UV (it's a PWH though), still, it rules out of all my 7s. I'd say over all the RG is a great shredder guitar. I have 2 7620s and I love them. Definately shredder guitars. My S 7420 is also a great shredder guitar, something about the S series that look sleek and are comfortable and the neck and everything about it makes it a shredder guitar. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.