Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i wondered into a local music shop looking for a new cable (exciting right). A friend of mine who worked their handed me an Strat (he knew i wanted a G and L and he has been trying to get me to buy a fender for a month now). It was an Eric Johnson signature Stratocaster. I am usualy an Ibanez and PRS guy but this was the best guitar i have ever played. The neck felt great and all of Eric's crazy ideas work well (the lack of a backplate, the lack of a tuning key tree). It was a wierd little strat but that thing killed. The pick ups made the guitar sound beautiful and warm.

I am thinking about ordering one in a different color (red). Has anyone else encountered one of these strats? Are they all amazing or just this one? Is it safe to order one without playing it? I would usualy not order a guitar without playing it thats an ultimate No No. This seemed to be an exception however.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I haven't played one but I've always wanted to try one. I wouldn't get it in black though since my strat has all the same coloration as his black signature except it has a rosewood fb. But right now I don't want to try and other guitars since I already have enough GAS to kill a horse

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's a very nice strat. They're well-built and solid. Those pickups are based off of a '57(neck), '61 (middle), and '63 (bridge) if memory serves me right, and are each respectively off of one of EJ's favorite vintage strats. The rest is based around his favorite '57, plus features he really likes/wants. IMHO the only thing that it doesn't have that I'd like is a 22nd fret, a contoured heel (I play a lot of Jeff Beck, for the record), and more color options, but I love the 12" radius, jumbo frets, staggered tuners, and pickups.

And that neck, oh that neck. It makes the guitar imho. One of the best I've ever played.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of my good friends owns a local music store and he is the only fender dealer in town. He personally has an EJ and it is possibly the best playing guitar i have ever held. like you I wondered if it was just his or all of them but he has had 2 more come through his store brand new straight from fender and they were, like his and everyone i've ever talked to anyone about, flawless.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I love EJ strats. They are Custom-Shop quality guitars without the price tag. In another thread Cid and I were talking about the 2-piece bodies - all EJ bodies have them and it makes a tremendous difference in tone and sustain. The fret dressing and final sanding/shaping stage of the neck prep is all done by hand in the Corona factory on every EJ too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dantesstudio Re: Best guitar i have ever played

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What part of TN are you from?

I'm from cookeville, between nashville and knoxville.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts