Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
                     Hey everybody, i thought this would be a cool topic to start. I live in a really small town with only one small guitar store, so about the only opportunity i get to play some really nice guitars is when i drive for an hour to get to the nearest Guitar Center. So, needless to say, my choices aren't all that special.                                                                    The best 6 -string i've ever played was an RG3120TW { the same one i mentioned in the Guitar Center thread elsewhere on the forum }. I absolutely fell in love with it. Sounded Beautiful, even through an awful little Crate amp ! The best 7- string i've played was { of course } the Ibanez UV777BK. Looked amazing, sounded great, and the best part to me was the neck; HUGE, flat, and BONE DRY ! As far as acoustic's go, i don't know; probably some Taylor or something. Classical : a Cordoba Gypsy King's model. It sounded SO GOOD !!! It felt like it was alive. Really great thin neck and super-low action, too.                                                                                       So what's yours ?                     -=-ben-=-

·
Registered
622 Posts
Best guitar you ever played !

In regards to playability I have to say my UV777PBK is setup just the way I like it. I copied the setup from Bob Oakman's UVMC for which he received from Rich. That was UTOPIA!!!!
In regards to sound I will have to think about the best sounding guitar that I have ever played.
Out,
GP
I should say I did my best to copy it.

(Edited by pri0531 at 2:02 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

·
Registered
747 Posts

Hmm, one of those questions thats a swine to answer.

I'll try.

As far as "best sounding" I'd have to say an old battered Gretsch Country Gent.

As far as best feel my old instructors battered neck-thru Charvel (dunno what model).

Yes, I've had plenty of experience with old and battered guitars (not to mention old and battered instructors) ;)

Steve

·
Registered
166 Posts

Aaaaah! Going down memory lane, thinking "if I'd only had money that day..."

The best electric I've ever played would be the Ibanez Voyager. Koa model with EMG's. Yummy!

The best classical would be... I don't know really. Close tie between my teacher's Antonio Raya Pardo and a Jaime Julia. Two very different guitars indeed, but great in their own way. There are some nice Bolins around, too.

Mikael

·
Registered
835 Posts

Quote: from Jupiter on 12:20 pm on Oct. 17, 2001
The best 6 -string i've ever played was an RG3120TW { the same one i mentioned in the Guitar Center thread elsewhere on the forum }. I absolutely fell in love with it. Sounded Beautiful, even through an awful little Crate amp !

-=-ben-=-
My sentiments exactly :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

I once played a used Martin acoustic- don't know what model- in a guitar store, priced $4000. I never dreamed an acoustic guitar could play that well. It was inspiring too. I didn't want to put it down.
For electric I had a similar experience with a PRS. Never played one before, plugged in, just wailed! I remember the guy who was working checking me out( I wasn't loud) and that's never happened before!

·
Registered
644 Posts

JEM7VWH, six string....hands down my UV777BK for seven...and acoustic, strangely enough, I played this one cheaper Takamine that I absolutely loved....very strange

·
Registered
5,659 Posts

Best 6 string action, RG2020x
Dist Sound Jem77PMC
Clean sound RG2020 Piezo

Best 7 String action, RG2027x
Dist Sound UV7BK 1991
Clean Sound RG2027x Piezo

·
Registered
512 Posts

This is an interesting topic... we'll see many different cool guitars here! :smile:

Here's my list:

6-string: JEM 7VWH / Peavey Wolfgang
7-string: UV 777BK
Acoustic: Guild F30

·
Registered
113 Posts

I can't forget a 1996 Fender USA YJM Sig Strat I played at a music store years ago. Very cool neck (I thought it was incredibly comfortable to play on, although I know I'd be more comfortable sweep-picking on my JEM77FP these days!) And uh, really HOT tone, too!

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts

The best guitar I've ever played is my JEM10. And before you ask... Yes I could destroy the Death Star with it ;)

It looks incredible. It sounds fantastic and it has a gorgeous, powerful, present tone, perfect for playing a guitar melody, but the feel just surpasses anything else I've tried, Jacksons, Andersons, Melancons, ESPs, PRSs, the list goes on and on. And on.

For sound overall though I think at the moment I'm really favouring my JS6. I think it's got a more natural woodier tone (probably due to the oil finish) than most other guitars and it's great for some bluesier type of sounds much like some of those on Satch's eponymous "blues" album.

Another guitar's sound that I really love is the JEM7BSB which has the same natural woody sound. Again probably due somewhat to the finish.

And just another line about the feel of my JEM10 :biggrin:

·
Registered
250 Posts

Best overall sound: RG1077XL (Dist)
Best feel: RG1077XL
Best Looks: JEM7VWH
Best Tone: JPM90HAM (Dist)
Best clean tone: RG1077XL
Best clean sound: RG1077XL
Best sustain: 1978 Gibson Les Paul Artisan!!!

(Note: difference between tone and sound is that I refer to individual notes for tone, and chords for sound)

And the 1077XL is based on it's stock pickups. I'm so glad I own this, because I think that to me, this is even better than the JPM90HAM I own!!!

One thing about the tone of the 1077XL though, I recently discovered how versatile this is... I can get a fender-like twang tone by using the 2nd position from the neck and minimal volume to reduce the gain with the pedal at full gain. Damn! This baby is sweet!!!

I haven't found anything that surpasses it! And the brightness of the tone is due to the XL neck! imagine that!

(Edited by Spiral Acid at 6:05 am on Oct. 18, 2001)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

My Tom Anderson hands down.

Close runner ups...
Parker Classic (body style is too uncomfy)
My S3040PL (well, used to be mine.. hehe... great playing, but trem and humbuckers ruin it for me)
My JEM7VWH but same problem as the 3040PL

·
Registered
76 Posts

I had like a dozen minutes on my uncle's late 60's custom Telecaster. Beautiful guitar, he sold it for as much as he bought it for 30 years later! That's still unfortunate, i wasn't the one who bought it and im still kickin myself in the ass for it.

Joel

·
Registered
168 Posts

The best-sounding guitar I've ever played is the 1969 Strat that I learned to play on, and subsequently "borrowed" from my Dad on a pretty-much-permanent basis. I can stay on the middle pickup all day, using my amp and volume control to change the tone, and not get bored of hearing myself play. I don't presume to speak for those around me. :)

The best-playing guitar I've ever found is my Ibanez RG570 with RG770 neck, my first Ibanez. It's still the most comfortable neck I've ever found, and I can do things on that guitar that seem impossible on my other guitars, Ibanez or otherwise. It's like my "Terminus Est", my "Excalibur".

(Some people call them "axes". To me they're always swords.) :biggrin:

·
Registered
111 Posts

That would be the first RG3120 I ever played at Hames Music in Gaffney S.C. I picked it up and was a better player when I played it...Know what I mean? The guitar played so well that I could legato parts that I never thought I would be able to....very nice.

As far as the best tone...toss up between a PRS custom I played in a store and an old Strat this guy in a store let me try when he was checking out amps. It was beat all to hell...Probably a 60's model.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

Qua 6string it would be my BSB, qua 7 the UV777 I played years ago...

Acoustic wise it must be some guys classical guitar that he'd had mad for him that i touched a coupleof years ago...

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

best electric: my JEM7VWH (that's why I bought it!)

best acoustic: Taylor CE914 (that's why I want to buy it)

runners up:

JEM77BFP
Jackson USA Soloist

runners up runner ups:

Fender Coronet
Danelectro Corvette
Series 10 Superstrat with the green and black crackle finish!

·
Registered
62 Posts

My best 6 sting would have been the Model 6 (don't laugh!!) Charvel (it was neck thru) with EMG's.......I didn't really care for the pickups on everything but it was a good overall rocker.....As for 7's...I like the 7620 just because I like the feel of the neck...........(you know what they say......."small hands.....well..:(....") but doesn't anyone else think that a guitar should fit you and not the endorser? I love Ibanez Jem's, Uv's, and RG's but some of the best sounds have come from whatever I needed to fit the song. Be it a Mexi strat (please no flame throwers) or even (this will get a laugh) my Steve Steven's model Washburn! :) Of course I look cooler with the Jem!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts