Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise that it's all down to opinion, but I thought it would be interesting to see who fellow Jemsiters think is the best guitarist ever.

My vote is for Steve Vai... ( I think he will be a popular choice:))

What do YOU think?

Rock on!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Guthrie Govan.

He can play any genre amazingly, and sound like he's done each for decades.
+1 for Guthrie

Terrifyingly brilliant....

I think he would be an amazing addition to G3

In fact I think it would be cool if G3 had a local / unsigned support for each date of their tours...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
+1 for Guthrie

Terrifyingly brilliant....

I think he would be an amazing addition to G3

In fact I think it would be cool if G3 had a local / unsigned support for each date of their tours...
Yeah, they somewhat did that in the first G3. When I was a little kid, my dad went to the G3 with Vai, Satch, and EJ, as well as Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I kick myself for not going to that.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that "best" is subjective C.Thep.

When discussing anything based on opinion, using the term "best" usually means "the one you personally like most".

I think we can all agree that we will never come to a consensus as to who is "the best guitarist ever".

Perhaps I should have written "who is your favourite?"

Either way, I think you know what I meant ;)

Rock on!

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
I think right now, over the last year Paul Gilbert has been blowing my mind.

Mattias Eklundh has been too with his crazy harmonics.

The other guitarist that has been slaying me, although he's not quite as much of a shredder as the previous two mentioned guys is Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth.

His note choices, and sense of melody and timing is amazing. He only throws in as many notes as is actually needed which is really fresh for a metal band. His tone is brilliant too.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
When discussing anything based on opinion, using the term "best" usually means "the one you personally like most".
No it doesn't. That would be 'favourite'. We are seeing if we can agree on a demonstrably superior guitarist, which is perfectly possible. If Vai is demonstrably superior to me, the comparison is infinitely possible. Of course, guitarists cannot always be compared in the same way. The only opinion that needs to come into the equation is deciding which assessment factor is the most important. Which is where, of course, it gets hard :p

·
Registered
859 Posts
Jerry is great. Sure. he's not the fastest, but his phrasing is very melodic. His work with Alice in Chains defies all statements that 90's music sucks (most of it did).

Anyways, I'm seeing him October. Can't wait!
Absolutely spot on. He's one of the most talented, diverse, and underrated guitarists I've ever seen.

You lucky bastard. ;)

1 - 20 of 160 Posts