Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've agreed to join this guy's live band, and if he finds the remaining musicians he needs, I'll need a head (as most bands are ok with you borrowing cabs, but not heads). I imagine I probably won't be able to stretch further than about £250 (about $500). I'm mainly thinking of Line 6 Spider III HD150, Marshall MG100HDFX or Marshall AVT series head.

Any reccomendations (or what to avoid)?

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Toothless meth heads are usually the cheapest, but not always the best.
Generally you want to find a single mother around 24-26.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Pinch it at the top before you roll it down.

Then look at the Peavey Windsor or the Epiphone So Cal 50. Stay away from the solid state junk.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Avoid everything in the OP except maybe the HD150, but you could do better

-Used Carvin legacy
-Used Laneys
-Ceriatone marshall clone

This would be a lot easier if you told what kind of music you play

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Personally I'd avoid the line 6 stuff.
It seems ok for bedroom levels, but you'll have a nagging cramp in your style because of the tone not being where you think it should.

I'd say either hold out til you have a lil more $ or find a good deal on a good head. Hold out for a quality amp.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
What about the Orange Tiny Terror? They seem to be great if you are after a basic single channel tube amp. Only downside I can see is it has no effects loop, but you may not need one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For $500 I think you can get a brand new Peavey Valveking 100W all tube head, do some research, it's a damn nice amp for what it costs. I have the 2X12 combo and it rocks. Clean channel + distotion pedal = wow! The 2X12 combo costs $599 I believe.

My friend has a Peavey XXL head with matching 4X12 cab, and my VK, clean channel, volume a 9 o'clock + uber metal pedal put his halfstack to shame =)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Epiphone SoCal looks suspiciously like a Cornford to me - if it sounds even 1/10th as good as a Cornford, that could be an okay choice; at least its full of those little warm, glass, orange glowy little thingys......

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've agreed to join this guy's live band, and if he finds the remaining musicians he needs, I'll need a head (as most bands are ok with you borrowing cabs, but not heads). I imagine I probably won't be able to stretch further than about £250 (about $500). I'm mainly thinking of Line 6 Spider III HD150, Marshall MG100HDFX or Marshall AVT series head.

Any reccomendations (or what to avoid)?
Oh, yeah, recommendations - avoid all three of the heads you mention.....

Solid State Marshalls are bedroom specials. The Line 6 Vetta is a pretty cool amp (Charlie Burchill from Simple Minds uses them, and he pulls a phenomenal sound live), but the Spiders just seem to be a big buzz box.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Get a B-52 head, and never look back.

Those are some of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. I played a used B-52 ST-100 head yesterday that would have easily given a Mesa Triple Rec or similar amp one hell of a run for the money. It's a little more expensive than the amps you're looking at, but it's orgasmic.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Pinch it at the top before you roll it down.

Then look at the Peavey Windsor or the Epiphone So Cal 50. Stay away from the solid state junk.
Haven't played the epi. The windsor is okay but only if you use a nice cab. It was awful through the stock peavey cab

What about the Orange Tiny Terror? They seem to be great if you are after a basic single channel tube amp. Only downside I can see is it has no effects loop, but you may not need one.
If he doesn't need cleans, then yes these are great little amps

For $500 I think you can get a brand new Peavey Valveking 100W all tube head, do some research, it's a damn nice amp for what it costs. I have the 2X12 combo and it rocks. Clean channel + distotion pedal = wow! The 2X12 combo costs $599 I believe.

My friend has a Peavey XXL head with matching 4X12 cab, and my VK, clean channel, volume a 9 o'clock + uber metal pedal put his halfstack to shame =)
I was indifferent to the valveking. They don't sound bad but they're nothing special. Again, cab choice is important hear. I heard a significant improvement between the combo and the head through a 1960 cab

Get a B-52 head, and never look back.

Those are some of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. I played a used B-52 ST-100 head yesterday that would have easily given a Mesa Triple Rec or similar amp one hell of a run for the money. It's a little more expensive than the amps you're looking at, but it's orgasmic.
These aren't bad either but not as much as you make them out to be. These are the schecters of the amp world. They're decent and not terribly expensive, but that has led to legions of people buying them and hyping them up much more than they should be. And just like with the schecters, they are nice but you could get more with a little more money or maybe even the same price. $700 is Mesa Mk III and 5150 territory

1 - 20 of 62 Posts