Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, gang. I'm in New York City for a few days. What's the scoop on the best new and used guitar stores out here? I'm near Times Square.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's been a LONG time since I've been there but, Alex Music (above Rudy's I think) had a decent selection of used instruments at reasonable prices. For new Rudy's has really nice guitars and amps but, prices are 8O

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rolled over to "Music Row" over around 48th and 7th. Manny's, Sam Ash, Rudy's, etc. I didn't go into Alex, as it didn't look like they stocked much guitar stuff. I'll cruise by there and have another look.

Manny's had about the best selection of Ibanez gear, but the prices were a little steep. They had an RGT3120 with a HUGE chip out of the side of it, still with the new tags on it and a price around list. Wow. I think I'll pass.

I also checked out a "vintage" instrument store on 30th between 7th and 8th, and they had a bunch of stuff, but NO Ibanez gear.

There's GOT to be some choice used gear places in this city - somewhere! I'll be here for a week or so, so I've got plenty of time to scope it out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
48th street has the cool places to visit. Sam's Ass was pretty dismal when I went there a few months ago. Unfortuntaely, oyu will have to deal with the New York Salesman attitude which is "DOn't talk to us unless you plan to buy something"

Also check out Ultra Sound Rehearsal Studios. If you rent a rehearsal room for $19.00 they will let you demo the largest assortment of boutique amps you have ever seen. I think they are on 32nd street but look them up on the web to be sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ultrasound is on 30th Street - 251 West 30th, I think - it's the music building, across the street from 30th Street Guitars. Great place to see tons of cool amps. Too bad when I rehearse there, I just plug my pod into a clean matchless. If you can spend a day in the Ultra studio, it's like being a kid in a candy store!!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, guys, I'm going BACK to NYC (OK, Manhattan...) one more time. Seriously, anybody who knows a nice used gear store, help me out, 'cause I was unimpressed during my last visit. I didn't see anything I couldn't get out of the catalogs at the big stores, and I didn't see hardly anything with an Ibanez logo on it at any of the other options we discussed. Any last thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts