Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own the tubemeister since 4 years ago. I really love it, but I can not get a really good hi-gain lead sound from it.

I am looking for an OD or DST pedal, with a good control of eq, to have a warm creamy lead tone.

I tried the Boss DS-1 but it did not the job.
Thank you!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello, I own the tubemeister since 4 years ago. I really love it, but I can not get a really good hi-gain lead sound from it.

I am looking for an OD or DST pedal, with a good control of eq, to have a warm creamy lead tone.

I tried the Boss DS-1 but it did not the job.
Thank you!
Is it an amp or a combo? The speaker is very important to the overall sound and you must run it fairly loud to get more gain from the power stage.

You can get more pre-amp gain by simply using your DS-1 as a booster pedal, turn the distortion right down and the level right up, don't put it in the FX loop but straight into the amps face.

I think you're looking for saturation and sustain rather than distortion if you want a warm creamy sound, try using the pedal on the clean/crunch channel as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an amp. I use it with a 2x12 Celestion V30 cab.
The lead is really bright and hi-end oriented, so I need a warm OD I think...

·
Registered
547 Posts
It is an amp. I use it with a 2x12 Celestion V30 cab.
The lead is really bright and hi-end oriented, so I need a warm OD I think...
It should sound great through a 2x12, I don't understand why you want to use a distortion pedal for EQ when you can tune it using the tone controls on the guitar and the amp?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should sound great through a 2x12, I don't understand why you want to use a distortion pedal for EQ when you can tune it using the tone controls on the guitar and the amp?
I think amp tone controls are not enough to get the hi-gain I am looking for!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think amp tone controls are not enough to get the hi-gain I am looking for!
Ok, so you want METAL, not creamy, warm 70's stuff.
Try the new boss wazacraft metalzone, hard to beat for the money and a really powerful EQ. If you can afford more then get the Revv G3, it sounds incredible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so you want METAL, not creamy, warm 70's stuff.
Try the new boss wazacraft metalzone, hard to beat for the money and a really powerful EQ. If you can afford more then get the Revv G3, it sounds incredible.
This sound is approximately what I am looking for:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Weird. I have the same amp and find the lead channel kind of dark. I like the sound, but anymore I use it as a pedal platform amp. I have a Wampler Pinnacle. Works great in the clean channel, great warm lead tone and it's not bright and buzzy, like a DS1 can be at times into a clean channel. Also, check out the JHS AT (Andy Timmons). Nice, warm lead tones out if that, as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird. I have the same amp and find the lead channel kind of dark. I like the sound, but anymore I use it as a pedal platform amp. I have a Wampler Pinnacle. Works great in the clean channel, great warm lead tone and it's not bright and buzzy, like a DS1 can be at times into a clean channel. Also, check out the JHS AT (Andy Timmons). Nice, warm lead tones out if that, as well.
Hello! Thank you for the advice.
One more question: do you have any pedal for vintage tones? I know this is a modern sounding amp, but I would like to get also a good british overdrive tone for rock and blues.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hello! Thank you for the advice.
One more question: do you have any pedal for vintage tones? I know this is a modern sounding amp, but I would like to get also a good british overdrive tone for rock and blues.
I have a couple for those applications, actually. An Xotic BB Preamp and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. With these two, I typically run a compressor in front of them (in my case, an MXR Dyna Comp) for a little more sustain. The BB is great for blues to to rock, the TS I typically use for blues, it has that great mid-range hump that puts you in SRV territory. On the amp, I use the clean channel with the gain at 1 o'clock and the volume as desired. Keep in mind though, the higher the volume, the more the pedals will drive it. It's not a high headroom amp.

I'm out and about now, if I get a chance later, I'll post a picture of my board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts