Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Of these great Prog bands, which is the best?

• Spock's Beard

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Umhreys' McGee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moe.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emerson Lake & Palmer

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Kansas

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
looks like yes by a landslide so far, though if dream theater or liquid tension expiriment were included, it's be a different story

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Kind of a short list and an incomplete one at that.
Missing a TON of bands, hell just DT side projects would fill up more than 1/2 of the current list. Transatlantic, LTE, Jelly Jam, OSI, Chroma Key, Planet X, who else am I missing from DT? Mullmuzzler, the other side projects from LaBrie.
THen you have Fate's Warning, Symphony X, Porcupine Tree, Marillion (SP?) Star Castle, Dali's Dilemma, Andromeda, etc. I mean you can't say Band A or B is the "BEST" just isn't true and isn't accurate. go to http://www.lasercd.com/merchant/lasercd/lasersedge.asp and you'll see a number of prog bands you never knew existed layed out before you, all have something that someone might like. I hate these polls...too limiting and closed off to be of any use, I'm thinking polls should be disabled. unless we're voting in new mods or site features I think stuf flike this just creates a mess.

I have posted maybe 2 or 3 polls EVER and they were more or less to push my decision making process toward a specific direction, but even then, they came out evenly tied for the most part.
BLAH

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bamm, thanks for the link. See? I learned something by posting. Is Moe. stretching it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
you put spock's beard, umprhey's mcgee and moe on there but no king crimson? what have you been smoking?

my vote is for crimson, but if i had to pick one, itd be Yes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Without Dream Theater on the list, I like Spock's Beard. I think Yes did as much as any band in the 70's to get prog going and are still a great band. Prog as a genre is what I listen to.

Cheers, James

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
megadeth said:
has prog music been redefined ?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Floyd, along with Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson and ELP, were the more successful of the UK progressive rock bands that came about in the late '60s and early '70s.

Back then, if the band had a guy that played a Moog synthesizer and lots of trippy songs over 7 minutes in length, they were prog.

Would you classify Floyd as Metal? Brit Pop? Acid Rock?

IMO, and probably lots of other folk's as well, Pink Floyd should have been posted at the top of the list above. I didn't see Genesis, KC or Tull in the list either.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts