Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  LonePhantom 
#1 ·
I am sure there has been discussion about this before but...

What is the best way to get a rectifier sound that sounds like the real thing without actually using the real thing?
I do not have the money for a dual or triple rectifier or even a roadking + box with V30's AND I do not have the room to record a loud amp. So I have to find another solution.

It is not for playing live - recording purpose only.

I own a POD XT pro but ... even with wisely used gain, bass and presence it doesn't get close. The sound character is good, but there is this fizz and it has not enough bottom punch and is not "straight" enough.

What about other modelers: NI guitar rig2, and the new Digitech,...?
What about using a BBE Sonic Maximizer or the Harmonic Converger?
Or software like NI Guitar Rig2 or Amplitube,...?

I don't use very high-gain sounds. The rectifier's vintage channel with 50% gain is great for what I like.

All I am just looking for THE sound for my songs.

Thanks in advance!
Marko

See less See more
#4 ·
Adjusting the output level, and pad function on the pod often fixes most problems in relation to fizz, you may also wish to adjust your amp flat, and adjust your output mode freqency range. It will allow you to scoop high end fizz, or emphasize the low end of the unit to suit your taste. The digitech is so fizzy i dont even know what to say about it, just stay away from that imo. The pod really is about as good as it gets for amp modelling now, and the new spidervalve with bogner tubes will really warm things up

#5 ·
Thanks, but never heard of this

Adjusting the output level, and pad function on the pod often fixes most problems in relation to fizz
??? Output level okay, but what pad funktion do you mean and how can I cancel the fizz with what pad funktions?

you may also wish to adjust your amp flat, and adjust your output mode freqency range. It will allow you to scoop high end fizz, or emphasize the low end of the unit to suit your taste.
you mean I chose a different output mode than "Studio direct"?
How does this sound when going strait into the soundcard?

The pod really is about as good as it gets for amp modelling now, and the new spidervalve with bogner tubes will really warm things up
yeah, maybe. But for recording? If I had the possiblilty of miking a real amp, I would go for an EnGL or a Mesa.
Line 6 should release a POD with tubes!!!

#7 ·
This actually touches on one of the biggest problems with modelling, for me - I think all of the "modeled" Rectifier patches are based on the "Modern" mode, and not the Vintage or Raw modes (which both own).

If you don't have the cash for a Dual or Triple, well, what do used Single Rectifiers go for around you? I just impulse bought one not too long ago after being a lifelong Rectifier hater, and with a Hot Plate in line so I can drive the poweramp at sane volumes, I've become a total convert. :)

#8 ·
This actually touches on one of the biggest problems with modelling, for me - I think all of the "modeled" Rectifier patches are based on the "Modern" mode, and not the Vintage or Raw modes (which both own).

If you don't have the cash for a Dual or Triple, well, what do used Single Rectifiers go for around you? I just impulse bought one not too long ago after being a lifelong Rectifier hater, and with a Hot Plate in line so I can drive the poweramp at sane volumes, I've become a total convert. :)
Hmmm. I think the primary issue is that the concept of what a mesa sounds like is so broad. Ive seen them used for so many different styles. The key thing with a mesa in my opinion though is the sound of their cabs. Nothing sounds like them at all to me, im not sure whats going with them, but ive played dozens and the cabs themselves have such a pronounced low end presence to them that its hard to imagine anything comparing to them. So lets be honest, plugging a modelling floor board/pod/box into a solid state amp, with at best generic speakers isnt going to produce that low end thomp, and will have an inherit amount of fizz due to the amp itself being ****ty. :( Ive had better results running my pod through higher end amps, and equipment. You cant polish a turd but you can make it sound better :p.

#9 ·
Marko, why exactly can't you record a live amp? I think maybe we should see if there's a reason we can work around there, rather than immediately assume a direct recorded modeler is the way to go.

The problem is that virtually every modeler I've ever run across models the Modern mode, and not the Vintage. I was always quite impressed with the Recto model on the old Johnson J-Station, but again, it's Modern and not Vintage. Evidently, the new Zoom modeling stuff has a surprisingly good Recto model (!!!), but again, it's Modern mode...

If volume and price is your only concern, a Single Rectifier coupled with a Hot Plate might be the way to go...

#11 ·
Marko, why exactly can't you record a live amp? I think maybe we should see if there's a reason we can work around there, rather than immediately assume a direct recorded modeler is the way to go.
He said:

I do not have the money for a dual or triple rectifier or even a roadking + box with V30's AND I do not have the room to record a loud amp. So I have to find another solution.
For what it's worth, and the gear snobs are welcome to laugh all they want, I use the V-Amp Pro's Mesa emulator all the time and I like it a lot. Whether or not it sounds convincingly like a Mesa, I don't actually know or care, the sound is very usable and the V-Amp Pro is dirt cheap.

#13 ·
The problem is that virtually every modeler I've ever run across models the Modern mode, and not the Vintage. I was always quite impressed with the Recto model on the old Johnson J-Station, but again, it's Modern and not Vintage. Evidently, the new Zoom modeling stuff has a surprisingly good Recto model (!!!), but again, it's Modern mode...
Drew is a known Mesa Boogie fan with experience with many Mesa amps. I'd be guessing he'd have a good ear for the Mesa sound, so if he thinks something is capable of a sounding somewhat like a Mesa I'd say it sounds somewhat like a Mesa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.