Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have an Rg2500, basswood body, currently it has a FRED in the neck and duncan JB in the bridge. when i played my bandmates jem with the evo, it seemed like i could scream through stuff MUCH better than I could on my own guitar, lead work that i'd struggle with on my own axe i was breezing through, so it got me thinking about making a change. any recommendations for a quality bridge pick up for a basswood guitar? looking for something where the notes really snap off the fretboard with ease, metal-esque rhythm but most important very hot clear lead tone. is the EVO the way to go?

It just seems like the FRED/JB combination is making it that little bit harder for me to improve and enjoy shredding stuff. I know a bad workman blames his tools but I was really flying on the JEM and would like to have that same feeling on my own guitar, which (sacrilege alert) I prefer to the jem feel wise.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
From the sounds of it I would say to go with an EVO in the bridge because it's going to give you the exact thing that you just described. I guess you could leave the Fred in the neck if you like it, but personally I'd go with either a PAF Pro or a PAF Joe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've always thought the tone zone was a really good lead pickup for fast pickers. The bonus is that it's not nearly as fizzy.
DB

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
thoth105 said:
I've always thought the tone zone was a really good lead pickup for fast pickers. The bonus is that it's not nearly as fizzy.
DB
A combination of both an EVO and a Tone Zone would be really good. That would give that really nice "shrill", "sharp" cutting tone. If you know what I mean. Apart from the x2n, the TZ is my favourite pickup. If its good enough for Gilbert, its good enough for me too.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Someone resurrected an old thread again. But yeah, having had my EMGs for about a month now I'd definitely say to go that route because they rock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd go for the Seymour Duncan Allan Holdsworth, but need to order from their custom shop and is not cheap $120 per PU. HOw come now one mentioned Duncan Full Shred?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hey there's a shop near me with 2 NOS Duncan Holdsworths and they'll sell them at regular price. Carvin Holdsworth is a good alternative, but not the same thing.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Tone Zone or EVO would be my personal suggestions.
* what do plan to do with the JB? i love those pups! pm me if you are selling it or i'll trade you an F-spaced TZ for it.
Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts