Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody recommend a good light weight non-tube amp thats between 15-30watts that sounds good and you can gig with in small clubs or venues?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just bought a Hughes and Kettner Blue 15 DFX on clearance from The Friend. Great amp. The bass projection is incredible for an 8" speaker. The clean channel can breakup like a tube amp. Best bang for the buck out there!!!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Anything in that wattage without tubes will need to be mic'd up.

That said, I can't rave enough about my Tech-21 Trademark 30. The one thing it doesn't have is channel switching - on the plus side it's dynamic enough to allow you to vary your gain with your volume knob, and if Marshalls actually sounded as good as the "Brit" mode, I'd own one. Try the Brit mode, the middle gain setting, and a flat speaker response, with the gain and all three EQ knobs halfway up, and 'verb and volume to taste.

I've recorded one demo with mine - go to http://www.myspace.com/drewpeterson7 and listen to "Windowpane demo." That entire thing was the Tech-21 in Brit, with a slight mid scoop and attenuation of the highs on the rhythm tracks, and everything flat for the leads, with the gain halfway up or so in the middle gain mode.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I think if you want to go the solid state route you'll need a bit more in the wattage department. I've got a Kustom KGA65 65 watt solid state amp that is capable of playing with drums and bass without the need to be mic'd up. Sounds pretty good for a solid state amp too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got a Flextone III 112 I'll sell you. I bought it as a backup gigging amp and have never had to use it. It just sits around under its cover. Nice and loud and can go direct to the board. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've recorded one demo with mine - go to http://www.myspace.com/drewpeterson7 and listen to "Windowpane demo." That entire thing was the Tech-21 in Brit, with a slight mid scoop and attenuation of the highs on the rhythm tracks, and everything flat for the leads, with the gain halfway up or so in the middle gain mode.
sounds great man. did you mic it for the recording or go direct in?? what do you have in the loop?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think if you want to go the solid state route you'll need a bit more in the wattage department. I've got a Kustom KGA65 65 watt solid state amp that is capable of playing with drums and bass without the need to be mic'd up. Sounds pretty good for a solid state amp too.
Not necessarily true. Watt for watt it doesn't matter if it is tube or solid state. However, watts aren't necessarily measured the same from company to company, so a 100 Watt isn't necessarily quite equivalent to 100 Watts from someone else.

A modeler might be a better option, it depends what you are playing though and what other equipment is around. If there is a PA, it might be cheaper and easier just to plug in say a Line 6 PodXT Live (just using it for an example, there are a few other good modelers, as well).

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yeah I think you need more power than 30 watts if your playing rock with a full band and not micing the amp. The Cube 60 isn't much more than a Cube 30 and cheaper than a host of other amps and is loud as you'll need for most reasonable uses.

And even the micro cube sounds good. All the cubes sound good for the price and the circutry. I'm getting a Cube 30 tomorrow to use with my worship band. I would get the 60 but it's a little heavy to carry on the train for 45 minutes and walk for 10-20 with it and a guitar. I don't have a car so this is a factor unfortunatel cause I could've got a lot more if I didn't have to consider weight all the time. But I still may change my mind.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Man the Cube 60 has enough to do what you want and they're cheap, or the VOX adt line are cheap and have some 50-100 watters. All of these amps sound pretty darn good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Man the Cube 60 has enough to do what you want and they're cheap, or the VOX adt line are cheap and have some 50-100 watters. All of these amps sound pretty darn good.
+1 on either of these, The Valvetronix and Roland Cube are absolutely fantastic for an affordable SS amp!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts