Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been paying alot of attention to tone, and mostly in Rock guitar. I would really like to see some players you guys enjoy tone wise. I'm gonna list some, and I gotta say, the guy I HATE the most is Brad Gillis, worst guitar player ever, but anyway, here is my List of best tone in Rock:
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhoads
Zakk Wylde
Eric Clapton (I'm not saying he's great, but in cocaine and layla he really did great)
Paul Gilbert
Tony Iommi

These are just come guys I been checking out lately, so if there is anyone you guys really like, post it! BTW, we're all friends here, no trashing someone elses picks.. play nice.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Anyone heard of a guy named Hadley Hawkinsmith??
He played with a christian jazz/fusion band named Kononia(80s').
The band was started by Abraham Laborial(bass). Hadley had
some GREAT lead tones...
As far as rock tones go man, how about Ace Frealey ...LOL!!!
Just kidding....love the man but...no!! I don't have a best tone.
I think it depends on the style and what the other instruments in
the song sound like. As far as best rock tones I've heard from
a paticular song...off the top of my head... I have 2 that come to mind.
The little break Vito does in White Lions "Cry For Freedom" and Stryper's
"Rock That Makes Me Roll" off of Soldiers Under Command.
The intro on that song is soooo fat!!!
(olie will appreciate these 2 ;))

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have to go with the famous brown sound from Van Halen.

Also i love the sound of Greg Howe.

Cheers, Sam

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm partial to Jeff Beck's tone myself. Of all the guitarists out there he does the most with the least, as far as gear goes. His tone is pretty much entirely from his fingers and his general approach to the guitar.

Then again, on the opposite "gear" end of the spectrum, I also love hearing David Gilmour's tones. While equally as human in his approach as Beck, he has a great synergy with his multitude of effects. Everything about his sound just says high class.

While I really love,(and often try to emulate) Satriani's tone, in the shred department my favorite guitarist's tone is probably Tommy Vetterli's. He was the guitarist in a Swiss Thrash band called Coroner,(though he has also played in Kreator and a few other bands). Their really early albums lack a good enough production to really allow his sound to come through, but from the 'Mental Vortex' album on up the sound is there. Both his lead tone and his sweeping technique are simply amazing.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I must admit, Jerry Cantrell's live tone this past October was INCREDIBLE (and this is coming from someone who admires the tones of EJ, Timmons, etc). It was so thick and articulate. I was literally standing in awe over how good his sound was...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya SRV is defenately one of my fav's as far as tone. Man, just amazing listening to that guy. Brian May was a good call as well.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts