Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, long time no see, haven't spent much time on the net the last few months, cause we've been giggin' and recording quite a lot.

Anyways, I got myself two new main guitars, my Ibanez JS90th and my '85 Squier Contemporary Strat rest at home with the '89 Fender USA Strat and serve as practice-homerecording-lesson-giving-and-using-different-tunings-without-retuning -guitars ;)

My main Axes have become two ESP 800 Series guitars, a Tele and a Strat, both equipped with DiMarzios (ToneZone T and Steve's Special) and I love them, especially as they're in matching finishes, see images here:

Tele: http://www.dergitarrist.de/images/guitar/tele/index.html
Strat: http://www.dergitarrist.de/images/guitar/strat2/index.html

As you can see the Strat has a golden Schaller Floyd... and even though it's a nice one and I have it set up to D-Standard Tuning with 10-52 Strings I'm thinking of blocking it for good... especially as it went out of tune on stage again last friday which made me have to rely on the Tele of it's own... The Tele didn't let me down but if it had I wouldn't have had a backup.

Seeing as I barely use the Floyd at all (am not too much of a technical player) I think it's best to just block the thing. Especially as it takes me half an hour for re-stringing, the Tele is done within 3 minutes... it's just not worth it for me personally, and if I ever really need a Floyd I still got my JS90th with the Edge on it :)

I used to do it like this:

but I wondered if there was an easier way than cutting 2 chunks of wood to the right size, are there some tools for this? like fixed-spring replacements you just replace the springs with and you're done?

Let me know, thanks :)

Good to be back, here :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and just to stop anyone from telling me to search the forums: I did.

And I found a few proper answers but most of them were directing me to Tremol-No which is not available yet - to my knowledge.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
...but will be in probably 4-5 weeks. ;)

From the looks of it, that's the traditional "accepted" way to block a floating bridge (that looks more like a wilkinson-style bridge than a floyd), so I think you've got it right.

As an aside, that strat is HOT. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the picture posted is my squier, the block is not really necessary on that one, yea it's wilkinson style. the esp has a schaller floyd licensed trem...

hope the tremol-no unit will be shipped soon... need that guitar working properly on the second of september (biiiig gig!) - until then i'll take another guitar as backup, i think.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
No, I'm saying that ESP-liscensed bridge on the strat looks more like a recessed Wilkinson variant than an actual floyd - it's a much smaller body than a floyd, going by that pic...

-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts