Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BFP is sitting in it's case without strings. It's been almost a month now. I intend to restring it soon. (that's what I had said the day after took the strings off :D ).

Would this have an adverse effect on the neck?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
well if I remeber correctly you'd want to keep it as straight as possible when there are no strings. Look at the neck and if it is bowed in either direction and strings aren't going on anytime soon then yeah I'd adjust the truss rod to get it as straight as possible.

Not sure how comfortable you are doing that, but there are some great tutorials on ibanezrules.com and here on jemiste.com.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Courjan said:
My BFP is sitting in it's case without strings. It's been almost a month now. I intend to restring it soon. (that's what I had said the day after took the strings off :D )
Isn't this a sin???

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Courjan said:
My BFP is sitting in it's case without strings. It's been almost a month now. I intend to restring it soon. (that's what I had said the day after took the strings off :D ).

Would this have an adverse effect on the neck?
As a member of the jem police i must now confiscate your jem for my own use. You should be ASHAMED! Strings dont cost that much! If i had a jem and couldnt afford strings id still wake up in the middle of the night to make sure nothings wrong with IT!!!!! ARRGHHHHHH

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Leaving any guitar without strings on is not good for the neck.:(

I won't even (unless i need to change pickups or something) take all the strings off any of my guitars at the same time.
I take one off and then replace it with the new string and so on.
This is probably a bit extreme but it makes things a lot easier (and safer!).

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
JTM45 said:

I won't even (unless i need to change pickups or something) take all the strings off any of my guitars at the same time.
thats good practice and I definitely agree with you ESPECIALLy when dealing with a floating vibrato

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
markg5150 said:
Have you guys not heard of the 8th deadly sin "Thou shall not leave a very nice guitar unplayed without any strings on!"
That's the one:)

And I do the exact same thing JTM45 does....one string at a time. The ONLY time all the strings are off is when I am cleaning the fretboard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
JTM45 said:

That seems a bit extreme, IMHO. What are you supposed to do during a fret polish?

Courjan: if you had a Rolls Royce without any tires would you just let it sit in your driveway for a month while you posted on a Rolls Royce forum about whether or not you should do that? Nope, didn't think so :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
giannifive said:
Courjan: if you had a Rolls Royce without any tires would you just let it sit in your driveway for a month while you posted on a Rolls Royce forum about whether or not you should do that? Nope, didn't think so :)
A Jem isn't a rolls royce, it's a ferrari. A Rolls would be more like one of those old Gretsch's (sp?)

·
Registered
520 Posts
JTM45 said:

JTM45 - I do the same thing. It's not exteme, it's the way everyone should do it, unless you have other work to do on the guitar!!

Courjan - Follow JTM45 advice next time you are going to change strings. For now though, gets strings on it ASAP and check your neck under string tension. Don't be suprised if you have to tweak the truss rod a little bit!

Josh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts