Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own many mij ibanez jems and other models like js and raduis. I'm thinking about trying a big brass block upgrade in my jem dbk. what do u guys think? Is it worth the 40 dollars or a waste of time and money. Also thinking about a trem block to make the bridge non floating. Anybody have feed back on these types of mods?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The brass blocks do work. They improve resonance and sustain and tend to compress and warm the overall tone of the guitar. They are also much larger than the stock blocks though, and may restrict trem range of motion. I put one in an '02 Jem 7VSBL and while the tone is great I have almost no up-pull anymore. Not a huge deal as I don't do that very often, but I do use trem trills and if I trill too hard the block hits the body also. If you're going to block the trem this is a moot point however. The combination of a brass block, brass claw and blocked trem does make for a very full, resonant guitar tone though!

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
If your bridge doesn't have a brass block in the first place (like a Gotoh one) then yes, it's a big difference. If it already has a thin brass block then it's a fairly subtle improvement. Ibanez bridges definitely benefit from the brass.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With brass block, expect better sustain but when blocking the trem. then the resonance of guitar really makes a difference in tone.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
As surprising as it seems, yes. The Killer Guitar Components brass claw is the best one. It may be pricey, but you really get what you pay for in this instance. they mill a claw out of a solid block of brass, much stronger and more resonant than the bent ones.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
I've got from both Floyd Upgrades and Killer Guitar Components. Both are good, but the extra money for the stuff from Killer Guitar Components is worth it. They add in new better quality screws for mounting the block to your bridge baseplate, and a spring retainer bar that can let you use up to 5 springs and still have the retainer bar installed.

The Floyd Upgrades blocks are for the basic block and that's it.

The brass claws from KGC are also better, the milled block makes a bigger difference in the tone, won't bend out of shape pretty much ever, comes with two sets of screws to install, and the solderless lug for the ground wire is a great time saver. Soldering to brass is a real pain in the ass.

Both are great upgrades though. KGC just makes it worthwhile spending a little extra.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've got from both Floyd Upgrades and Killer Guitar Components. Both are good, but the extra money for the stuff from Killer Guitar Components is worth it. They add in new better quality screws for mounting the block to your bridge baseplate, and a spring retainer bar that can let you use up to 5 springs and still have the retainer bar installed.

The Floyd Upgrades blocks are for the basic block and that's it.

The brass claws from KGC are also better, the milled block makes a bigger difference in the tone, won't bend out of shape pretty much ever, comes with two sets of screws to install, and the solderless lug for the ground wire is a great time saver. Soldering to brass is a real pain in the ass.

Both are great upgrades though. KGC just makes it worthwhile spending a little extra.
Yep. I have parts from both also and Phantom summe it up nicely. KGC takes a little longer to get the parts sometimes (mostly for the Edge blocks) as they are just a father & son team running the place, but as previously stated the parts are better quality.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Iv got 2 brass blocks in a usa custom and a J custom... Definitely makes a difference...

Im about to use a titanium block in my custom 540pii and I hear they are an awesome mod for the guitars tone..

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a Floyd Upgrades big brass block in my 1990 RG550. And I can honestly say that...the jury's still out. To me it is virtually impossible to tell. That's not to say there is no difference- it's just that I can't reasonably trust my own mind to tell objectively since I can't A/B the same guitar at the same time (not in this universe).

If you had asked me right after I installed it, I would've said "yes, it's amazing!"...but I had read so much hype and positive opinion, and been influenced by all the endorsements Floyd Upgrades enjoys, that I really can't tell what I think.

I will say I THINK it fattened up my tone a little bit. I will not say it added sustain. I don't think there's necessarily any direct relationship between mass and sustain. But I did get the impression the tone was a touch beefier. Now it's still a basswood floyd-routed RG so it's a pretty wimpy acoustic tone in my opinion...don't expect a miracle.

I say try it. You may be blown away. If not, you can always resell it, and you won't have to wonder any more.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Brass blocks do make a huge difference and J from Guitar Upgrades (3bay) is extremely helpful and a great person!

I'll be ordering another for a 7VWH soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts