Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Was wondering where I could find the best 500xl from. I've read around, and seen that people have been recognizing some as 'fake' while others say theirs is perfectly legitimate. Where would I get the best reproduction of the original, I know that the 'billlawrenceusa' site sells the pickup, but I read that Bill Lawrence actually now makes pickups under the name 'Wilde Pickups.'

What's the best/most trustworthy to purchase from?

·
Registered
451 Posts
In 2005, I purchased one for my N4 (which doesn't come with the genuine Bill Lawrence by the way) directly from Bill and Becky - the REAL Bill Lawrence . It was night and day in comparison to the pickup stock in the N4. It is rather hot pickup, very full, and just oozing with harmonics! I haven't heard of the Wilde Pickups brand, but this may be where you can purchase the genuine article now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The LawrenceUSA model CAN sound just as good as the ones Bill and Becky make, but the quality control is shoddy and you often get microphonic pups from what I've heard. Wilde is the safer route even if you have to wait longer for them. I've got a set on order for a little over two weeks now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The LawrenceUSA model CAN sound just as good as the ones Bill and Becky make, but the quality control is shoddy and you often get microphonic pups from what I've heard. Wilde is the safer route even if you have to wait longer for them. I've got a set on order for a little over two weeks now.
I was told that they are not even close (internally) to the same pickup......and by my experience, that is about right. This was not even a subtle difference, it was drastic. The knock off one was biting and harsh and toneless by comparison.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They use to be close, but as time has progressed they've likely started using cheaper components and changed the design to save money. I know there are definitely some plastic parts in the LawrenceUSA where there are metal components in the Wilde model. I've heard them both together and they were nearly identical in sound, but that was over 15 years ago. I haven't heard a modern LawrenceUSA. The more recent reports I've seen are the ones that talk about a lot of microphonic pickups. I certainly don't suggest buying one. I'm just saying it's possible to get a good one, but you are playing roulette.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, It seems that the BillLawrence.com 500xl is what I believe the same as the Bill & Becky 500L. They both measure the same 11.8k where the B&B 500xl is around 14k so if one compared the BL.com XL to the B&B XL the BL.com is going to be weaker and brighter. They seem have output between a paf and super distortion to me. A fairer fight I guess would be to compare it to the B&B 500L and see if it sounds much different.

Does anyone know what Bill and Becky don't use shielded cable with their humbuckers?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've got one of the plastic covered ones. its brutal. had it in many different guitars over the past 10 years. Mine sounds great, is quiet as a mouse when you need it to be but has great sustain and crunch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always thought that there was no way a pickup filled with epoxy could ever be microphonic. It pretty much seems impossible.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I always thought that there was no way a pickup filled with epoxy could ever be microphonic. It pretty much seems impossible.
I would assume that depends on how well it's filled. If there are any voids then the possibility exists. It all comes down to quality control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would assume that depends on how well it's filled. If there are any voids then the possibility exists. It all comes down to quality control.
While that can be true I also wonder if some of it is people making stuff to stick up for Bill and Becky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got one of the plastic covered ones. its brutal. had it in many different guitars over the past 10 years. Mine sounds great, is quiet as a mouse when you need it to be but has great sustain and crunch.
BTW, I have a late 70's Bill Lawrence L550, P90 shaped hot 500 series, and it's base is also plastic. don't really see much of a issue with it being that way. the inside may be lined with foil for all I know.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey Guys,

Was wondering where I could find the best 500xl from. I've read around, and seen that people have been recognizing some as 'fake' while others say theirs is perfectly legitimate. Where would I get the best reproduction of the original, I know that the 'billlawrenceusa' site sells the pickup, but I read that Bill Lawrence actually now makes pickups under the name 'Wilde Pickups.'

What's the best/most trustworthy to purchase from?
I bought mine from BLUSA & have yet to have anyone tell me if its the "real deal" or the Unbetter one,so I gave up trying to find out. I just know so far (4 months) its the best sounding pickup ive heard in over a decade. Clean, Tight Quiet & excellent tone & bite. AND excellent sustain too

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you got a good one from BLUSA there is no reason to think badly of it. They may be hit or miss compared to the Wilde but when they get it right they can sound just as good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The output of the Bill and Becky is just a tiny bit more than the Evolution in my Jem.

Hmmmm...interesting.

I will say that I adjusted the height of my pups on my Jem and the bridge is VERY close to the Nuno sound...although it is a very different guitar, amp and player, the tone is close...pretty cool.

It has great sustain, harmonics and a wonderful full sound yet cutting or bright without any harshness.

I think I will still purchase two or more of the Bill and Becky pups before it is too late.

I can always use them in project guitars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer the Bill n Becky L500L's and L500XL's to me there is no comparison what so ever to the 'other' kind, which yes I have tried, but it wasn't for me.
This whole debate has been on going for years and it just goes back and forth with no one coming out on top. The best you can do is get one of each and try them both and see for yourself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts