Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got an RG7620 for which I had to obtain a replacement neck. Got the new neck on. Had to shim the neck pocket to be able to get the action low enough, but that's all fine. I'm having buzz issues in a couple of places, though. On the G string at the 14th and 15th frets (worse at the 14th) and on the high E string, whole step bends originating on the 14th, 15th and 16th frets are "fretting out".

My only guess is that the problem is with the offending frets at the offending note locations (i.e. needs a fret job). Any other possibilities??

FWIW, I had the same problem with the G string with the previous neck on the guitar. Almost as though the G string needed to be set individually higher at the bridge or something....

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The G string problem may be some bad frets, which a little levelling may help. Make sure the radius at the bridge is right ... you may have to shim the saddles at the bridge if the radius is wrong. The high E fretting out problem sounds like a case of fretting out on bends with a cylindrical fretboard. That would be fixed by changing either the fretboard or the frets (everywhere or just in that area) into a conical shape ... i.e. a compound radius fretboard. Of course, your RG is probably a 430mm radius to start with, meaning that this is much less of a problem than with something like a Strat, but possible if your action is really low. Again, a little bit of careful fret levelling in that area is the fix, if that is your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only one of these things that is even in my realm of possibility of do-it-yourselfness is shimming the individual saddle at the bridge, which makes sense...but how common a problem is that with these guitars?

Ummm..Rich?? LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.