Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Correction. He had hand surgery, but it's his fretting hand, it's fine, he's playing with it. He had shoulder surgery which is the reason he played one handed, and called it Knappsack.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Have to say, that custom chair he's got is pretty boss too.

The guitar is sultry for sure (maybe pity about the rosewood, should've gone for ebony :lol:). The other colours are cool and fun, but this one has the serious classy thing going on.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
As much as I still prefer the JEM, black and gold is always a winner to me.

Plus how good is Vai’s tone?

And yes, he’s better with one hand than I am with two... there’s reason he’s Steve Vai...

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I like the black one very much. Thinking about to get one. What Steve is presenting there with one hand is outrageous. I wonder, how he controlled the ambient noise with only one hand.
Cheers !

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like the black one very much. Thinking about to get one. What Steve is presenting there with one hand is outrageous. I wonder, how he controlled the ambient noise with only one hand.
Cheers !
I guess a fret wrap and a bunch of takes for each challenging part. You can see in the video that some or maybe all parts are not actually played live, still impressive nonetheless. Steve is an inspiration and always nice listening to him talk (as well as play).

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I guess a fret wrap and a bunch of takes for each challenging part. You can see in the video that some or maybe all parts are not actually played live, still impressive nonetheless. Steve is an inspiration and always nice listening to him talk (as well as play).
But i can't see any fret wrap ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
But i can't see any fret wrap ?
That's what I'm saying, he pre-recorded the audio and then played over the video and edited it together for the music video. There are a few parts that don't sync up well, in particular the divebomb bit where you can see he kinda fumbles it but the dive-bomb continues in the audio. It's pretty normal for people to make play along music videos to recorded pieces that aren't live, this definitely seems to be the case here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the white PIA which I picked up last night. I ordered the black one as well which should get to me at some point. This guitar is just so well playing and so nicely built. I absolutely love it! It literally has everything that I have ever wanted or modified on my previous guitars on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the look of this guitar. Has anyone tried the PIA? I've heard the neck is a little thicker near the nut. I have a white MIJ Jem and a sea foam green MIK Jem and I love them both. I'd be interested in hearing from someone that has tried the PIA. Thanks! ~Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you notice any difference in the neck? I heard that it is a little thicker near the nut. What do you think about the total guitar? I'm really thinking of grabbing the black one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Do you notice any difference in the neck? I heard that it is a little thicker near the nut. What do you think about the total guitar? I'm really thinking of grabbing the black one.
Compared to the FP2 that I had a few years back, this feels like it has a bit more shoulder to it. It is very, very comfortable to play.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I played my VWH now more than twenty-five years, but since i got the PIA, she' s sitting in the case. I did not meausure anything, but the neck feel's very similar to a VWH neck, maybe a little bit different. What can i say ? The playability of the PIA with the stainless steel frets is great ! I also like the Utopia pups, they are much more better balanced than the EVO's. At first, i thought, wow, a nice collector, but now it is my player for the next ?? years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts