Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi; I'm a new member, this my first post;

I'm going to replace the Ibanez Standard DL Tremolo on my 2018 RG 450DXB with a Gotoh GE 1996t, based on reading many post here on Jemsite. My question is about what size Trem Block to order. The Trem Block on my DL is marked 34, and measures about 1- 5/16". The Gotoh's are available with 33 or 37 blocks. Which size would be best, all things considered? I want to be able to put the trem cover on; so would the 37 be too big? I could grind/file just a little off the 37, and could make it clear the trem cover, so that's not a huge issue. Are there any disadvantages to going with the very slightly smaller 33 or the slightly bigger 37, other that the trem cover issue?

Thanks for any comments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jax; Thanks for the feedback; Something I just thought about; Does the Gotoh come with a screw-in spring retainer? If so, then I definitely would want to go with the 33, to allow for the additional height of the retainer. Did your unit come with a retainer, and did you use it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful ! Now I get it. So it seems the 33 is definitely the way to go, because I wouldn't want to get the 37 and have to grind/file the block even a little, thus ruining the countersinks for the individual screws. I think my questions have been fully answered, and I hope this thread can be of help to others wanting to do the same mod. Thanks again

·
Registered
54 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem with a 33mm or a 37mm in the back of an RG body. The trem cavity is routed out with plenty of room for the springs to slant even with a shorter (33mm) block, and I'm pretty sure you could fit a standard 37mm in there, with the back cover on, and still be able to pull the arm up. I've got a 40mm on the GE1996t on a PIA style body (basically the same back route as an RG), and it works fine because I prefer to leave the back cover off. It would poke into that when I pull up, though. So a 37mm would leave plenty of clearance. I think they offer the 33mm to accommodate thinner bodies (e.g., an Ibanez S body), but in any case you should be fine with 33mm or 37mm. Some people think it affects tone and/or sustain, others are more concerned about lighter weight, so it's up to you. You really can't go wrong with this trem system, though, it's awesome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered the 33; but now I'm curious if I could/should have got the 37. It seems to make sense that the 33 is mainly to accommodate the thin body S series, but for an RG body, the 37 should fit. On the other hand, as I mentioned at the beginning, my Standard DL has a 34, and since I prefer very low action, it seemed that the 34 was about the max size that wouldn't rub on the trem cover. So I went with the 33. It's coming in a few days, and I'll update after I get it.

BTW; I'm going to start a new discussion about what size drill is recommended for installing the Gotoh stud anchors, which are larger than the DL anchors. So if you've got some experience with that, look for the new thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was looking at this bridge again yesterday, thinking of replacing a Floyd 1000 series, and the block sizes I saw available are 33, 36, and 40. No 37. Maybe there was a typo someplace suggesting 37? I don't think you'll have any trouble with a 33, good luck when it arrives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are right about the 37 block size for Gotoh GE 1996t Trem's. Not 37, but 36 for Gotoh. I think the Schallers or OFR's may have the 37, as one of the option for block size, and I got mixed up....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts