Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used Peavey ValveKing 112 from GuitarCenter last week. The previous owner had apparently installed an Eminence Texas Heat speaker. The speaker sounds great for the most part, except for the fact that there is a buzzing sound coming from it which I can hear when playing with a clean tone at mid to high volume. The buzzing sound is not constant; it seems to occur mostly when I hit certain notes, especially in the lower register (like an open A string).

To be fair, I am not sure the sound is actually coming from the speaker. It seems to emanate from the back of the ValveKing's cabinet and when I turn the amp around and play, my ears tell me it's coming from the speaker.

The most obvious thing would be just to return the amp to GC and get my $$ back since it is still well within the 30 day return window, but I got a good deal on it and I really like the amp ... with that Texas Heat speaker, the VK112 has a really beefy low end that makes it sound a lot better than a stock ValveKing (to my ears, anyway).

Any ideas on what could be causing the buzzing? Maybe the speaker is blown or damaged. I checked and the screws holding the speaker on seem to be nice and tight, and I checked other things that could be rattling (a couple of cords, tube covers, etc.) so I'm pretty sure it's the speaker.

How hard is it to install a new speaker? I could always just get a replacement Texas Heat or similar speaker and throw it in there, but I've never done it so I don't know how much expertise that requires.

Thanks,
John

1 - 1 of 1 Posts