Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been bugging me for awhile, and who better to ask than you guys...\

Whats the deal with the locking nuts where the bolts go through the neck? It seems like a very critical spot on the guitar to be drilling 2 holes right through it...

Are they inferior to the other design (top mount nut)? Superior?

thx guys

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ibanez changed that sometime, most of the necks have a volute at that point and have top mounted nuts.
Yeah that's how my '06 RG1570 is but I was looking at an '05 Universe on e-bay and it had the bolt-through nut.

Like I said it just seems like an extremely critical spot on the neck to have 2 holes drilled through it...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
To be honest I have never had a major problem with that kind of nut, although I do know that the neck is weak there.

As long as there are no obvious cracks or damage, they should be fine.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Locking nuts with the holes thru the neck are perfectly fine. As said before, make sure there's no damage there and you should be set. There are probably a zillion guitars out there made that way that show no signs of damage and I think that its still the standard way to have the locking nut. It would not and does not stop me from buying a guitar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The top mount is susceptible to screw hole damage (wallowing out or stripping of the hole) from trem use especially if the wood screws loosen up from weather changes or whatever, and goes unnoticed. At that point though, you'll have tuning stability problems and it's usually easy to identify the loose nut as the culprit. Overtightening the wood screws can also lead to stripping of the holes. The good thing is, if the screw holes strip out, you can usually drill the hole through, add a counterbore on the back side and mount up the same nut (the holes are threaded) with thru-bolts.

Wood screws are great for pickguards and truss rod covers but for a component that sees a lot of stress reversals (e.g. locking nut under trem use), the clamped design (thru-bolt mount) is probably more reliable.

As for neck strength, the top mount could be stronger, but if the wood screws went in a little too tight on initial installation, cracks can develop.
At the end of the day, neither neck design will take the wrong hit on the headstock... best to avoid accidents with the guitar when leaning it on things, turning around in tight places, stepping on it in the dark, taking it off in a room with low ceilings or overhead fans, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could a top mount nut can be transform to a thru bolt?
IDK the answer, but going back to the critical-ness of the spot on the neck I would think it'd be best if it came from the factory like that, unless you knew a totally badass luthier.

If anybody can answer that I'd say its Rich...

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
It would have to be drilled correctly, and you'd need the correct bit that creates the bolt seat. If the question is can the nut itself be changed, you could helicoil it to the right thread, but it would be easier just buying the right nut.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
The only "problem" with the through bolts is that everyone likes to overtighten them, which leads to cracked necks. You see the same thing working on cars. People LOVE to tighten fasteners, which leads to all sorts of broken off bolts or stripped threads. Unfortunately, on a guitar the weak spot is the neck, which can't be replaced like a broken bolt.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
hmmm i guess the answer would be... try if you dare!!!
as for the overtighten people... it can be on both types of nuts... when i changed the floyd on my GRG and installed the new nut it came with both screws the top and thru... but over the years the hole that makes the screw stay in its place gave up and now it can be seen when you look at the truss rod...
so it came to my mind if a top can be routed otherwise...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts