Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All-
Ocassionally the subject of Boss tone and quality arises in the comparison of Japan- and Taiwan-made pedals, so I thought I'd present a bit of "lab testing" for your reading pleasure.  

BTW, I currently own about 17 of those colorful Boss critters (plus many of other makes)...not sure if I'm a collector, or just have an ebay addiction. :)

I've had a Tai DS-1 for a while, and just picked up a Jap DS-1 a couple days ago.  I was curious to see if they were in fact different.  Keep in mind I'm not an electronics guru, so my technical knowledge is limited.

Here goes...

1) The guts: on the inside, both appear to be identical as far as the circuit board and most of the components.  The only differences I could tell were that most of the chunky chicklet caps (notice my techno-lingo?) in the Jap were green, while in the Tai they were red.  Also, a few other cylindrical caps were changed from blue (Jap) to black (Tai), but the values appeared to be the same.

2) The gear - I used my RG3120 and a Mexi strat.  I also tried three amps--a small mid-70s Gretch tube practice amp (think Champ), a PV Classic 30, and my rack system (Piranha, Replifex, PV C50/50).

3) The configuration: I ran the pedals with batteries in series...I occasionally switched the order of the pedals, and even the batteries to see if that made any difference...none detectable either case.  

In each of the amps I tried various settings on the pedals, along with various setting on the amps--from clean, to break-up, to overdriven.

4) The tone: What I found was that both pedals were very similar.  At first I thought they sounded identical, but after 10-15 minutes of goofing around I found that the Jap sounded just a bit tighter, while the Tai seemed a tad brighter and fuzzier (more noticable at higher distortion settings).  This could be somewhat equalized by backing off the on the tone of the Tai, but either way, the difference to my ears was very slight.

Just to see if the difference was just my imagination at work, I shut it down and went back to it later...pretty much the same perception.

*Your mileage may vary with your own experience & gear.  FWIW!
Greg

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, one more thing...I tried this a while back with the CE-2, and found some of the same internal differences, but absolutely NO difference in tone that I could perceive.
Greg

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
I always found the Tai to be very raspy at high distortion levels, which is what I use a DS1 for to begin with! :) The Jap is much smoother, but I get lousey milage, kinda like Kev driving to the Fest :biggrin:.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts